(Pre-Nerf) Imperial Knights v Custodes Battle Report

 

Two of the Emperor's greatest defenders duke it out for the title spot 

Hello again! I’m back with another 10th edition battle report, this time pitting the two most glorious of the Emperor’s defenders against each other: the Imperial Knights and the Adeptus Custodes? Can the chivalric valour of the Knights defeat the Emperor’s most perfect creations, or will the Custodes enforce the Emperor’s will on these clearly-traitorous Knights?

 

Imperial Knights

Canis and the Crusader ready to do some real damage

Crusader with gatling, battle cannon, 2 stubbers, stormspear rockets and Mythic Hero   440

Canis Rex    405

4 Armiger Warglaives    560

3 Armiger Helverins       435

Vindicare Assassin     80

2*5 Exaction Squads    70

1990 points

I’m still running the exact same list as last time, trying to cut down on the number of variables in order to wrap my head around this new edition faster. Plus, it absolutely rocks. Two big Knights give me massive damage output on demand, 7 Armigers can play the mission or kill stuff as needed, and the Imperial Agents give me throwaway units for Secondary play. The Vindicare has been a little disappointing so far, so we’ll see if he redeems himself this time. A kill on Trajann would certainly make me feel a lot more positive about him!

 Edit: A keen-eyed observer would note that this is not, in fact, a legal list. These big Knights are now dramatically more expensive as of this morning, but this game was played and written up well before today's FAQ. Alas, GW loves to publish these at exactly the moment to make my articles already out of date.

Adeptus Custodes

The golden boys may not be high in numbers, but they hit very hard

Trajann

Blade Champion

Shield Captain

9 Custodian Guard (spears)

4 Prosecutors

5 Allarus (spears)

2*6 Wardens (spears, vexilla)

3 Wardens (spears, vexilla)

Callidus Assassin

2000 points

I gather my opponent’s list is heavily inspired by one of the more successful Custodes builds from this week’s Competitive Innovations, and it certainly looks scary to me. That Custodian Guard deathball looks extremely intimidating, while trying to chew through a block of Wardens with a 2+/4++/4+++, -1 to wound and potentially -1D seems like a tough prospect. He has functionally no shooting I need to respect, but anything touched by one of his blocks will probably melt pretty fast. Knights aren’t quite as allergic to melee as they were last edition, but Lethal Hits and +1 to wound against vehicles means the Custodians can probably get the job done. So the plan is definitely to introduce the Emperor’s Finest to a terminal case of gun.

 

Mission, Secondaries and Deployment

That's a lot of mission rules!

This game happened before the GT pack was released, so we rolled for scenario as normal. For the mission, we managed to draw the exciting Maelstrom of Battle/Chilling Rain combo, so we got to draw 3 more mission cards. That gave us Scrambler Fields (no Deep Strike etc on objectives), Minefields (mortals on 6’s to advance) and Sweep and Clear (sticky objectives). Not the most influential here, but sticky objectives plus Scrambler Fields would encourage us to abandon ‘safe’ objectives once secured so that the opponent couldn’t charge onto them out of reserves. Finally, we rolled Supply Drop and Crucible of Battle, which is the one where backfield objectives don’t matter and the midfield objectives start disappearing. I got lucky with the random selection and had the Omega objective closest to me, so my opponent’s objectives would be disappearing first.

For Secondaries, we both went Tactical. My opponent considered taking Bring it Down, but like in my last game he just couldn’t work out a good second option. Custodes don’t have a lot of units to throw away on things like Behind Enemy Lines or Teleport Homers, nor to waste turns doing actions with Cleanse.

In deployment, I really enjoyed the flexibility granted by having more drops and a lot more guns. I was able to use my Agents and Armigers to buy time till the Custodes were all down, then deploy my big Knights quite brazenly in order to line up good shots in case I went first. 

Knights deploying with maximum disrespect. No Calladii here!

Critically, one of the big Warden blobs was forced to deploy in a position that my Crusader could get guns onto it if I went first, although they’d be able to hide thoroughly and threaten the far-right objective if I went second. So that first turn roll felt quite big, as I’m noticing it often is with Knights this edition.

Those left Wardens with Trajann are looking a little exposed 

Imperial Knights Turn 1

Awesome. Time to shoot some Custodes. I wasn’t especially happy with my Secondaries: Bring it Down meant I was immediately burning my one CP to bin it, but its replacement of Overwhelming Force was equally impossible. Oh well, at least they’re out of the way early. 

Oh well, at least it gives me my CP back when I get rid of Overwhelming Force

This did mean that I would have to actually commit to Area Denial, which was a little scary in light of the advance/charge Warden unit threatening the centre. So one brave Armiger went trundling forward, hoping that my opponent low-rolled on their advance or charge rolls. Both of which had free rerolls. Yeah, that Armiger’s probably dead. I also stomped my two big Knights forward to line up shots into the exposed Wardens and the Guards deathball, while one Exaction squad snuck a model onto my far-left objective. They’d be hard to charge with anything except the Blade Champion’s squad, and with their FNP and 4+ save (plus cover) they could actually survive a turn of shooting from one unit if the Custodes rolled low. Finally, I made sure I had a unit in range the Investigate Signals on either of my corners if that came up next turn.

Knights moving forward to line up some big shots, but aiming to limit Custodes damage next turn

In shooting, my opponent made the bold call not to use his once-per-game 4+++ for the Warden squad. His logic was that it was just a single Knight shooting and he’s get 2+ or 3+ saves against all my guns anyway, so he’d be better off holding it for next turn when they’d probably be facing a lot more guns. Unfortunately, the Crusader hits incredibly hard, and some low-average rolls on his saves meant that he ended up picking up 5 whole Wardens. This was a big swing, immediately putting me in the driver’s seat on that flank. 

Some Wardens badly underestimate my Crusader's firepower

Canis Rex started his shooting poorly by rolling a 1 on number of shots for his big gun, then rerolling it for free into another 1. Urgh. However, between Blast and Sustained Hits 5+, he ended up getting an amusing 5 wounds through, and some more poor rolls on saves from my opponent saw 3 Guards disintegrate. 

Canis takes advantage of Towering to line up some early shots

Chip damage from the multilaser and the small arms on the Crusader downed one more, and I was feeling pretty good about my first turn of damage.

This might not look like much, but it's a lot of points of Custodes

Custodes Turn 1

Not a great round of Secondaries for the Custodes either

My opponent started his turn by standing a Guard back up for free with his Shield-Captain, then basically decided to bum-rush me. He knew he was going to need to send his Blade-Champion’s Warden squad after my sacrificial Armiger, and rightly pointed out that if that was the only unit he exposed then I was just going to blast it to bits and he’d have traded a 400-point unit for a single Armiger.

Custodes about to push forward

So it was all stations go for the Custodes, with only the mauled Warden squad with Trajann hanging back behind cover. No need to let me get Honoured for free my massacring his warlord, after all. 

They also rolled a 1 for their advance, which meant they couldn't reach the objective anyway

The Blade Champion led his bodyguards sprinting forward, easily making it into my lead Armiger, while the big Guards squad moved out to take potshots at the Crusader and line up for next turn. Finally, the Allarus begrudgingly moved into the centre to Deploy Teleport Homers, although my opponent was sad to give up their handy rerolls against vehicles this turn.

Custodes push into the centre

Shooting went abysmally for the Custodes, with not a single save being forced on my Knights. Any real damage was probably going to be out of reach, but a total lack of sixes was a surprise. In combat, however, the Blade Champion and his squad used Slayers of Nightmares for +1 to wound, and in concert with Lethal Hits they effortlessly shredded my Armiger. After some thought I decided to fight on death with it, for the simple reason that none of my strats were actually especially effective in this matchup. Plus, the lurking Callidus meant I may as well spend my CP widely. In any case, that stratagem translated into one dead Warden, which seemed like good value to me. It also blew up, doing nothing to the Wardens but taking wounds off several of my nearby Knights. Boo.

Blade Champion and Wardens claim the first Knight kill

At the end of his turn, my opponent discarded Assassinate. Holding onto it would probably telegraph his plans a little too much, and he needed the CP anyway.

Knights and Custodes both fighting to contest the centre 

Imperial Knights Turn 2

On my turn, I scored 5 on Primary and picked up Engage and Teleport Homers. Both would be easy enough to get partial points on, although unfortunately I’d need to give up a Warglaive’s punch for Teleport Homers. Engage was easy enough to get 3 points on though, with my Crusader stepping forward across the centre line and toeing onto the far-right objective.

Doable Secondaries, even if I won't max either of them

Otherwise, movement was mostly about lining up guns and charges onto the 3 big Custodian blobs I could see. My opponent was determined to avoid a repeat of last turn, so he immediately declared that his big Warden squad would be using their 4+++ this turn. Fair enough.

Canis and an Armiger go in to fight for the centre

In shooting, the Custodes clearly wanted to make double-use of their -1D strat via the Shield Captain’s ability. However, the challenge with abilities like that is that they only work if you use the strat on the other unit first, not if the Shield-Captain’s unit uses it first. So I started my shooting phase with a Helverin aiming at that unit, hoping to put my opponent in a bind. Either he used the strat here (in which case he couldn’t use it on his other two units and I could just shift my guns away from the Guards squad) or he didn’t (in which case I could just put a second Helverin into him, then some Crusader guns, all of which would be one-shooting Custodian Guard with their D3). In the end he bit the bullet and used the strat, trusting in the Warden’s 4+++ and the 4 Wounds of the Allarus to keep them safe. He lost one Guard anyway to the Helverin and the Crusader’s small arms, before the rest of my guns shifted to his other units.

Sneaky order of operations foils the Custodes plans

Canis opened up on the Allarus and devastated them with his big D4 gun, obliterating two with ease. The two Warglaives nearby then unleased their various melta weapons, and after some below-average saves my opponent was picking up the whole unit. 

Knights crazy damage output picks up the whole Allarus squad

The Crusader and remaining Helverins then bombarded the central Wardens, putting out an enormous amount of heavy firepower. Still, the Custodes are made of stern stuff, and after all that only 4 Wardens had fallen. 

Crusader opens up with its immense firepower

Canis Rex and a Warglaive went hurtling in to finish the job, with Canis crushing one Warden underfoot with a Tank Shock before the Callidus intervened to make that cost an extra CP next time. Boo. The Vindicare also took a quick pot-shot at the Blade Champion and rolled a 1 to hit, probably guaranteeing a move to the bench next game.

In combat, my opponent was facing another dilemma. He could use Arcane Genetic Alchemy again and the -1 to hit Katah stance and hope to survive, but with only a single Warden and the Blade Champion remaining his chances seemed low. On the other hand, he could use Fights First and Lethal Hits to go out on a bang and hopefully do some big damage to Canis on the way out. This he did, stripping 8 wounds after FNP rolls to nearly injure my big Knight. But Canis struck back and probably vindicated the Custodes decision to go for offence over defence by massively overkilling the remaining Warden and the Blade Champion. This Knight really hits!

Custodes sacrifice their lives to weaken Canis before he wrecks them. Yes, that pun was entirely intentional

At the end of my turn I scored Engage and Teleport Homers for 3 each, and had reclaimed all the midfield objectives.

Knights dominating the field, but that's a full Custodian brick about to charge into combat 

Custodes Turn 2

After that devastating turn, the Custodes needed to kill some Knights. Drawing Area Denial neatly tied into that strategy, although Cleanse was clearly not happening this turn. 

Not the easiest Secondaries for Custodes this turn

Proceedings kicked off with the Custodian Guard squad moving into the centre, unleashing a double-shooting volley of bolts at Canis Rex and stripping yet more wounds off and injuring him. Trajann and his remaining Warden then moved out to charge my Crusader (after failing Battleshock, embarrassingly), only for the Warden to disintegrate in the face of the Knight’s Overwatch. 

Trajann's last Warden melts in the face of Crusader firepower

Finally, the Prosecutors came in on the left flank hidden behind a building, hoping to move out next turn and flip an objective, while the final Warden squad dropped behind the other building to go for a 9” charge into the Crusader. A time-honoured Custodes strategy, which immediately paid off as they made the charge to support Trajann. 

The final squad of Wardens teleport in to effortlessly make that 9" charge

Things went less well for the Guards squad, who needed a longer charge to try and get into both my central models to try and secure Area Denial. The inability to stand on objectives (now gone, mercifully!) meant that their first charge roll failed, so they need to spend their last CP to make it in. Even with the reroll, only a single model could actually fight the Warglaive, so my opponent made the call to focus all attacks into Canis Rex in order to secure the kill. This paid off as the big Knight was toppled, but before it fell it lashed out with Valiant Last Stand. With 10 attacks converting into 15 hits thanks to Sustained Hits 5+, Canis wiped the entire squad in an absolute orgy of violence. His duty done, the metal behemoth exploded, damaging the two nearby Armigers and wiping out Sir Hekhtur himself in the fireball. Ah well, he did his duty.

Trajann absolutely goes to town in his deaththroes

More heroism was taking place on the rightmost-objective, where Trajann used his Moment Shackle to smash the Crusader with 12 D3 attacks. After the Wardens swung as well, I had passed just exactly enough FNP saves to survive on 1 wound, although my strikes back were contemptuously dodged by Trajann.

Trajann doing some big damage with his 12 D3 attacks

After that turn, the Knights were actually still holding all three central objectives thanks to Canis Rex’s heroic sacrifice and Trajann failing Battleshock. This meant I’d be getting a 15 on Primary, and the Custodes scored neither of their Secondaries. A devastating end to a turn that started well.

Edit: In hindsight, Trajann may be immune to having his OC characteristic reduced, although I've heard mixed views on this. In any case, it didn't really matter in this game.

Big damage dealt out this turn, but the Custodes suffered some devastating casualties in return. 

Imperial Knights Turn 3

Time to put the final nail in this coffin. Of my two Secondaries, Assassinate was probably a sure-thing (Trajann was just standing out in the open, after all), but weirdly the only objective the Custodes controlled was the one in their deployment zone, which I’d struggle reach. A real ‘suffering from success’ moment, although my opponent and I did laugh about how Trajann’s cowardice had actually inconvenienced both of us equally. Edit: see above, my life may have been both easier and harder than I thought.

Knights starting to pull ahead on points

On the left flank, one Warglaive went hurtling forward to hunt the Prosecutors, while the Crusader fell back from the Wardens and Trajann. My opponent seriously contemplated Overwatching me, but realised that hitting on 6’s and wounding on 6’s was probably too implausible to justify the precious CP. The remaining Armigers stalked forward, bringing every gun in my army to bear against the last Custodes.

A lot of guns lined up on the last Custodes

The shooting phase started with the Custodes using both -1D and the 4+++ on the Warden blob, making it as tough as could be. Unfortunately that wasn’t enough to survive the massed melta and autocannon fire from my Armigers, and the 3 Wardens were hosed off the table in short order. That left Trajann alone to face all the guns of the Crusader, scoring me Assassinate and making my army Honoured.

Trajann falls at last, the final Custode on the field

Finally, on the left flank the lone Warglaive melted two Prosecutors before charging in and slaughtering the last two, even using his consolidate move to slip onto the Custodes backfield objective and score me Storm Hostile Objective.

One Warglaive hunts down the arriving Prosecutors 

Rest of the game

We basically talked/rolled it out from there. The Custodes Secondaries both required claiming a midfield objective, so the Callidus dropped in to try and take out the undamaged Helverin on the left. The two exchanged shots after I used Overwatch again, then the Assassin failed her charge with a reroll and was left stranded in the open. 


The Assassin comes in and does absolutely nothing. In saying that, her increase to the price of Tank Shock already did more than my Vindicare

We played out my last two turn’s of Secondaries, and the game ended with an absolutely devastating score of 100-13! Edit: or possibly 96:13, see above.

Ouch


Strategy Analysis

That game was an absolute bloodbath, and one that had a lot of key moments swing my way. Winning first turn was huge, letting me get some big damage onto the Custodes bricks before they could start moving up. Admittedly, going second would have had its advantages as well (my opponent would have had to decide what they were willing to throw into the open to face all my guns, and I could have played a lot more defensively) but getting that early damage in certainly meant a lot for the damage race. 

These early kills made a big difference

Similarly, Canis clearing the Warden squad then fighting on death to take out the whole Guards brick was immense, as it left me in control of the centre and let me focus all my damage back towards Trajann on the next turn. Finally, the Crusader living on a single wound was a big deal, as it meant I had a lot more guns left to finish clearing the table. If Canis had whiffed against the Guards and the Crusader had fallen, I could well have been too depleted to force the Custodes back on Turn 3.

This moment was definitely the nail in the Custodes coffin

Strategy-wise, I think my placement of the Crusader on Turn 2 was my biggest mistake by a mile. It worked out okay as it happened, but giving my opponent the chance to take out my biggest shooting piece was something I could have just avoided. It would have scored me a little less Primary on Turn 3, and I couldn’t have gotten Engage, but I think the trade would have been well worth it. I got greedy, and very nearly got punished for it.

My opponent noted after the game that he should have put the Callidus on the battlefield. It would have been pretty safe with Lone Operative, and would have allowed him to complete Teleport Homers with it rather than with his Allarus. It could then have used Polymorphine to go back into Deep Strike on a later turn anyway, so there wouldn’t really have been any downside. He also suggested that a Rapid Ingress play with the Wardens on my Turn 2 could have been scary, allowing him to threaten my Crusader more reliably than he did. Gambling on going first with his deployment of Trajann’s Warden block also didn’t really work out, and perhaps just putting them in Deep Strike would have been the better call. That play would have had its own issues though, so perhaps the gamble was the right call.

 

List Analysis

This Custodes list felt pretty solid, but desperately short on units. Dropping two Allarus would have made that brick less scary, but could have allowed the Custodes to fit in at least 3 more units of chaff (two Exaction squads and some Vigilators, for example), which would have helped with playing the mission no end. I think working out how to deal with Secondaries without massively sacrificing damage output is going to be big part of getting the most out of Custodes this edition, as they have so few offensive pieces that they can’t really afford to waste any of them for a turn.

The reason these Allarus were even visible is that they needed to score Teleport Homers. This unit costs 325 points, and it died doing Teleport Homers

My list again felt very solid, but I am becoming increasingly dissatisfied with the Vindicare. It theoretically synergises excellently with Lay Low the Tyrants, as it gives me a chance to take out an enemy warlord early. But I’m finding that generally I can kill exposed units pretty reliably with this list anyway, so getting a chance to snipe them isn’t really a huge deal. Plus, the reliability on that sniper is low, even if the potential payoff is high. I’m thinking I’ll drop her for an Eversor, who can still threaten to take out enemy characters, but is also much happier being traded on a midfield objective or sprinting somewhere to perform an action. That puts my list 15 points under, which… doesn’t really do anything. I could upgrade Canis to a Warden, or another Crusader, but I think I just don’t want to. I’ve been really impressed by both of my big Knights, and it feels like a shame to change up a winning recipe. I may try out the Warden/Crusader variant (probably with Mythic Hero shifted across to the Warden, where it’s more valuable), but I’m having a hard time saying no to the sheer damage output of my list as-is. The other alternative would be dropping 3 Armigers for the Warden instead, which would decrease my flexibility a lot but could give me a critical mass of big stompy boys with which to run over my opponent. I think I’m leaning to the 2/7 approach instead of 3/4, but I can see the appeal of either.

 Edit: Now, of course, I can't run this list at all. The best option for adjusting the list is probably swapping Canis for a Warden (now that the latter is actually cheaper than the former), ditching an Armiger and then trying to find something to do with the remaining handful of points. Oh, and bringing the Eversor instead of the Vindicare because I'm becoming gradually convinced that it's the better option.

Spoiler alert: next time I run a Warden, Crusader and Eversor Assassin and it absolutely rocks

Balance Analysis

Getting the key point out of the way first, Imperial Knights feel very, very strong. Probably too strong, in fact. We again played with the ‘reroll all ones’ interpretation of Lay Low the Tyrants (this game was actually played before I published the last article, which had some interesting points about the German translation of the rule in the comments), and I think that was probably a mistake. The extreme reliability of the faction’s damage output feels oppressive, and in concert with the resilience that comes with being an army of vehicles in 10th edition can put your opponent way behind in the damage race. The next game we play we’ll trial the ‘reroll a single one’ interpretation and see if that brings things down to a more sane level.

Interestingly, what is not feeling oppressive is Towering. It’s certainly useful, and getting to line up shots with more flexibility is a huge quality-of-life improvement. In this game, getting to get a headstart onto the Custodian Guard squad with Canis Rex was quite useful, and I think on Turn 2 the Crusader had some extra movement flexibility because of it. Ultimately though, it’s feeling a lot like something that’s neat when it comes up, rather than being what’s deciding games. The army’s insane damage output and durability is what’s deciding games, with Towering being a nice little cherry on top that lets me use that damage output a bit more easily.

Towering let my Crusader stand where he did instead of backwards a bit, but given that this position was a mistake anyway that's not much of a sell

Now, we are playing with tall LoS-blockers with no windows, as we always have (and as GW themselves has recommended in their terrain pack). If that wasn’t the case then Towering could definitely feel like an issue. But at this point, I expect that GW is likely to balance the game around a format like their own, and on that format Towering isn’t really an issue. I get that it’s annoying if you don’t have ruins with closed sides, or ruins of an appropriate height. But honestly, I don’t think it’s a big deal to just agree with your opponent that certain buildings are 5” tall and have no windows — or to put that in the tournament pack in competitive play.

Another spoiler for the next report, but this GW format made Towering feel pretty reasonable

I think Imperial Knights are a balance issue, but on the kind of boards that GW is clearly balancing for, I don’t think Towering is. If you don’t believe me, ask your local Chaos Knights player.

Edit: Praise be to GW! Today's update did tone down this list substantially, but without directly touching Towering. So my list will be less oppressively damaging and durable, but Knights don't have to go back to 9th edition 'everyone else can shoot me and I can't shoot back'. This wasn't exactly how I wanted the fix to happen, but in concert with the Aeldari and Indirect nerfs I'm suddenly feeling way better about the metagame. 


If this guy is fine, then I think it's hard to say Towering is the core problem here

I hope you enjoyed another battle report, even if it was a bit of a slaughter. I’m loving 10th edition, for all its issues, so I’m keen to keep putting out more content like this. Feel free to let me know in the comments section what you thought of the report, and how you’ve found Towering in your games so far. Is it not that big of a deal, or am I just biased by finally being able to shoot over scraps of terrain with my hulking death-machine? I’m always keen to hear from you.

Until next time, may your Knights always survive on a single wound!

Comments

  1. As a guy who hasn't PLAYED 40K but has watched some 40K, it's interesting to me that the large bases in your army didn't muddle up the ability for your troops to engage (though maybe that has to do with the first round shooting). In MESBG, of course, having big bases can be a huge problem, but that doesn't seem to be as big a deal in 40K . . . is there something I'm missing? Great batrep, as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tiberius, thanks for the kind words! It definitely can be a real annoyance with this kind of army, and I have frequently mis-activated my units and ended up with only one Knight actually able to charge when I thought two could. In this game I made sure to flank the damaged tank terrain piece from two sides so I could get both Canis and the Armiger into combat on the second turn, but I've often stuffed that up in the past. It's made marginally easier with regards to terrain by the fact that Games Workshop encourages terrain setups to always have enough room for everyone's models to move around them, but it's still very easy to trip over your own models and get stuck.

      Ultimately, I think the big thing that helps is just the fact that most damage is done at range. One of my Knights not being able to charge on a given turn cuts down its damage output, but it still has giant guns to blast people with anyway. Whereas in MESBG, if your Troll gets caught behind your lines for a turn then it's doing literally nothing (or maybe throwing a stone and praying to the dice gods). I'm not always a huge fan of the bigger emphasis on shooting in 40k, but it mitigates this issue at least

      Delete

Post a Comment