(Nerfed) Aeldari v Custodes Battle Report

A true clash of heroes

Hello again! I’m back with another battle against the powerful Adeptus Custodes. This time I’m fielding the Aeldari, newly-debuffed after a terrifying first few weeks of tournament results. These two factions are widely considered to be right near the top of the meta, so this should be an interesting game!

Aeldari

I made a couple of tweaks to the list after taking this screenshot, mainly because I realised I didn't have access to Protect. Check the list below for full details

Autarch Wayleaper          80

Farseer                 65

Avatar                  295

Death Jester with Fate’s Messenger          85

2 Lynxes               310

2 D-Cannons       210

1 War Walker with bright lances                95

3 Hornets with bright lances                       240

2 Warlocks on foot                          60

Vyper with bright lance                 75

3 x 3 Shroudrunners                        240

3 x 5 Shadow Spectres                   240

1995 points

This list has cut all the Wraithknights and Fire Prisms in favour of trying a few things differently. To that end it’s leaning heavily into the concept of distributed firepower, with lots of small units running around to snipe with bright lances or gun down light infantry. I’m also trying out the Lynxes as an alternative to Fire Prisms. They’re almost exactly the same price as the Prisms now, and while they give up some noticeable things (the blast profile, Linked Fire and extra rerolls being the main ones) they get twice as many big shots, are dramatically tougher and can move 23” a turn with no penalty. Even with new Fly that’s still an insane amount of mobility, so I think they’re worth trying out.

Oh, and there’s an Avatar as well. I don’t yet know whether he’s quite as good as the two Fire Prisms I could swap him for, but he is extremely cool and that counts for a lot.

 

Adeptus Custodes


The Golden boys, ready to chew bubblegum and roll 4++ saves. And they're all out of bubblegum


Shield-Captain                  120

Blade Champion               100

10 Custodians                    450

6 Wardens                          300

3 Wardens                         150

2 x Caladii                          430

2 x 2 Allarus                       260

4 Prosecutors                    40

2 x 5 Exaction squad        70

Eversor                                75

1995 points

The edition is still very new, but this is already looking like ‘standard Custodes stuff’ to me. Big bricks to claim the centre, smaller squads of Allarus and Wardens to skirmish on the flanks, two Caladii to threaten tanks at range and cheap chaff for objectives and Secondaries. Scary stuff, although not much that wants to tangle with an Avatar. That is true of most lists, admittedly.

 

Mission, Deployment and Secondaries

Nothing too exciting, but probably not a good draw for me

For today’s game we rolled into Mission G, which combines Hammer and Anvil with Chilling Rain and Sites of Power. Hammer and Anvil makes it harder for me to play around a Custodes brick marching straight up the middle, while Sites of Power gives bonus points for having characters on objectives. Looks like I’m going to need to focus heavily on one flank to try and hold its objective with characters.

Deployment was relatively conservative for both of us, with the Custodes staying quite hidden and the Aeldari respecting the threat of the Calladii. The Eversor and War Walker were both poised forwards, ready to score early objectives or (in the Eversor’s case) go on a suicide run to punk an exposed character. Most of the Custodes chaff units and two Shadow Spectre squads were in reserve, ready to hunt points later in the game.

Custodes hoping to dodge any bright lance shooting on the first turn
Aeldari poised to spring forward or hunker back as required

For Secondaries, we both ended up picking Tactical. Neither of us really gave up enough killing Secondaries to bother, and the Aeldari in particular were confident in their speed letting them pick up easy points on Tactical cards. Also, the risk of something like Engage or Behind Enemy Lines being screened out all game was a real consideration.

On this deployment, either first or second turn would probably be okay. I was happy enough to fling chaff forward to try and lure Custodes bricks out into the open if I went first, or to hunker down and score my 15 at the end if going second.

 

Custodes Turn 1

The Custodes drew a mixed set of cards this turn. Defend Strongholds is the perfect first turn card — or rather, it would be if you were allowed to use it on the first turn. We totally forgot this, so just chalk another mistake up to the ‘early edition’ tally. In any case, the second Custodes Secondary was Engage, which would basically require the Custodes to either Golden Light an Allarus squad behind my lines or go sprinting forward with the Assassin. They picked the latter, hoping it could at least take out my nearest Shroudrunner squad on the way out. Unfortunately Phantasm exists and the Aeldari don’t make any claims to be a fair or balanced faction, so I merrily zipped 7” further back and watched the Eversor botch its charge. It could have moved closer to the squad, but that would have taken it within 12” of my D-Cannon and risked an auto-6 Overwatch. Because, again, fair and balanced faction.

Eversor remains outside 12" of the D-Cannon but prepares to charge the Shroudrunners

Phantasm politely declines the Eversor's invitation to close combat

Otherwise, the central Custodes block rolled a 1 to advance, so held relatively static behind their terrain piece, while the Wardens with Blade Champion moved up one ruin to hold the left objective and threaten a deep advance/charge into my lines. With no good targets in the open, the Calladii stayed hidden.

Custodes staying fairly hidden to avoid the scary Aeldari guns

 

Aeldari Turn 1

Solid stuff to start things off

The Aeldari picked up a fairly easy set of first Secondaries in Extend Battle Lines and Cleanse. Basically I just had to hold the centre objective and my safe one and I’d get a free 10 points. Awesome.

The centre was cleansed by a unit of Shroudrunners zipping up, while the leftmost squad move-blocked the Wardens to prevent them charging anything important next turn. My War Walker and one Lynx hung out with the Wayleaper on the right objective, while the other Lynx swooped forward to line up the Warden blob with its 23” advance. It melted one after the Custodes opted to hold off on their 4+++ for this turn, before zooming back behind cover with Fire and Fade. The D-Cannon did two more wounds to the squad, but both were saved. Curses.

This Lynx moves 46" shoot this Warden then zip away to safety

The Eversor was facing about a million Aeldari guns, and died to the very first (a single Vyper bright lance). 75 points for 3 VPs is at least a decent trade for the Custodes.

I lined up quite a lot of guns on this Eversor. No such thing as overkill!

I scored both my Secondaries, while the Custodes picked up Defend Stronghold as well. Yeah, I can see why that card isn’t meant to be scoreable Turn 1.

Aeldari using cheap screens to keep the juicy stuff safe

 

Custodes Turn 2

Aeldari slightly ahead on Secondaries so far

Drawing Teleport Homers and secure No Man’s Land, the Custodes had a dilemma on their hands. Both Secondaries would require units to be exposed to score them, but the question was how much additional power to put forward into advanced positions.

Starting with the easy stuff, one Allarus squad used Golden Light to teleport into my backfield to score Teleport Homers. 

Allarus flexing their superior teleportation abilities

Next, the big Custodian Guard squad stomped forward onto the centre to threaten big charges next turn. Both Calladii came out, one to line up the right Lynx and the other to hunt my move-blocking Shroudrunners on the left.

Custodian Guard stomp forward to claim the centre and blast from Shroudrunners

Of course, being a sneaky Aeldari git, I Phantasmed the Lynx back behind cover, so the left Calladius had no better targets than the lone War Walker. Even then, I was able to burn a Fate Die to scrape by on a single wound, taking advantage of my 4++ and -1 to wound. 

Moments before Phantasm lets me slip away from the Custodes big guns

On the other flank, the second Calladius killed only a single Shroudrunner after some flubbed rolling, before the Custodian Guard squad opened up. They blasted the central Shroudrunners to pieces, before double-shooting to kill another Shroudrunner on the left, leaving me with a single 1-wound bike.

Calladius weirdly low-rolls into the Shroudrunners and I get to keep one for next turn
Custodian Guard unable to finish the job

The Custodes scored both their Secondaries, and were poised menacingly in the centre. Time to see what the Aeldari guns can do without Wraithknights to lean on!

 

Aeldari Turn 2

My Secondaries this turn were excellent, drawing Teleport Homers and Bring it Down. Given that I was aiming to shoot Calladii this turn anyway, that works for me.

Teleport Homers was fairly easily scored, with my one surviving Shroudrunner on the left using an auto-6 Fate Die from the Farseer to advance into the Custodes deployment zone and complete it for 5VP. The Wardens contemplated Overwatching, but realised that the Custodian brick was going to need all the CP they could get to survive the coming storm. Plus, I could always just drop down a Shadow Spectre unit in a corner to score it if need be.

One surviving Shroudrunner scores me 5VP. These little squads are insanely good for their price!

Given that a lot of my guns were going to go to the big tanks on either flank, I realised I needed another plan for the Custodes brick in the centre. So forward went the Avatar, ready to show what he can do. Either that or die instantly, as he does in every Black Library novel. One of the two.

Time for the heroic duel we've been waiting for

Elsewhere, I used the Hornet fly-by ability to badly wound one Allarus in my backfield, while lining up a Lynx, War Walker and one Hornet on the right Calladius. 

Bombing run!

The other one was facing just a Hornet and a Lynx, so I planned to burn a Fate Die there if need be. In the centre, I dropped in a Shadow Spectre squad and lined them up with basically every other available gun to go into the Custodian Guard squad. With this much firepower ready to fire, I was feeling pretty good about things.

And then the Emperor supervened.

First, the Lynx and Hornet on the left got three failed saves through onto the Calladius, only to roll triple 1’s for damage. I contemplated spending a Fate Die on the third one before realising that this tank was living no matter what. Boo.

Turns out Custodes tanks are made of tough stuff

Next, I rolled two more 1’s on damage dice against the other Calladius, having to panic-fire another Hornet and force through the kill with a Fate Die to bring it down (and score Bring it Down). 

Some big guns on this flank, but sometimes the dice just disagree

Then the Allarus decided they didn’t feel like failing saves, with the last one laughing off a D-Cannon and two bright lances to the face. I unleashed a firestorm from the Avatar, Vyper, Shadow Spectres, Shroud Runners and Death Jester into the central Guardians, and killed exactly two models. It was a bleak shooting phase, with the surviving Allarus being particularly galling.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaargh

Still, I had an audacious plan for the centre. After tallying OC, I worked out that by bringing one squad of Shadow Spectres forward onto the objective with their after-shooting move, I could potentially flip the centre off the Custodes. So the Avatar went charging in, using the universal strat to gain Precision and absolutely eviscerate the Shield-Captain in spite of the Custodes using the -1D strat again. With careful placement of my model, I was able to ensure that the Custodes couldn’t pile enough models onto the objective to prevent me claiming it, although they did do 5 wounds back to the Avatar through Fortune and his half-damage special rule.

There aren't many units in the game who could survive a fight like this!

It was a somewhat disappointing turn, but I was still in a decent position and scoring well. I just needed to kill a few more Custodes!

 

Custodes Turn 3

Still very tight scoring so far

Scoring another 9 on Primary, the Custodes drew Tempting Target and Capture Enemy Outpost. Both would be quite hard for them to achieve, although neither was impossible. I obviously nominated my right objective as Tempting; these Custodes were going to have to work for their points!

Things started off with the irritatingly-still-alive Allarus in my backfield moving up to try and charge onto my objective, hoping to flip it with his OC2. Doing so allowed me to Overwatch with my D-Cannon though, which scored a terrifying 3 hits thanks to a Fate Die and some jammy rolling. But the Emperor’s grace continued to protect the Allarus and he strode undaunted through the warp rift to threaten a huge swing of points. 

This Allarus is made of some tough stuff!

Thankfully, the Aeldari have plans within plans, so I Phantasmed back a squad of Shadow Spectres onto my objective to prevent him scoring Capture Enemy Outpost. Foiled, the Allarus charged a Hornet and Lynx nearby to do a little damage and tie them up.

Phantasm saves me from an 11-point swing
Allarus still being annoying, forcing more CP expenditure next turn

The central brick was locked in against the Avatar, and the Wardens rolled too low on their advance (with a free reroll!) to get anywhere useful, but the Custodes brought in their reserves. The Prosecutors and remaining Exaction squad popped up behind cover to take over objective-guarding duties for next turn, while the Wardens teleported in to try and make the 9” charge onto the Tempting Target. They failed, even with the reroll, and I could but thank the fates for my deliverance. 


This would have been a big swing if the Wardens made it in

I had a little more luck on the right, where the damaged Calladius continued to duel my Lynx. It unleashed a fusillade that would have shredded a Fire Prism, but the sturdy Lynx survived on 7 wounds. Maybe the Prism isn’t an auto-take now!

Custodes big guns can't quite bring down the Lynx

Finally, in combat the Avatar got to strike first, and the Wailing Doom sung (wailed) as it carved through the Custodes. Four of the Emperor’s Chosen were scythed down, before the remaining three swarmed around it and brought it down to a single wound. Naturally, I saved it with Fate Dice, because why roll dice when you could instead just dictate their outcome.

The Avatar stands defiant against the surviving Custodian Guard

This turn didn’t go nearly as well as the Custodes needed it to, and they scored neither of their Secondaries. A big swing for me, and one I sorely needed.

Battlefield end of Custodes Turn 3 

Aeldari Turn 3


I began my turn by scoring a 15 on Primary thanks to the Avatar’s brave survival in the centre, before drawing Capture Enemy Outpost and Extend Battle Lines. The latter would require literally no effort from me, but the former would demand a little more sneakiness. Thankfully, Aeldari are great at sneakiness, so I dropped my last Shadow Spectre unit into the Custodes backfield. They had obviously screened their objective, but not from a unit that can move 6” after Deep Strike and shooting. I melted the unfortunate Prosecutors and darted in to flip the objective from the Allarus for 8VP. Shadow Spectres are super strong, you guys.

Shadow Spectres screened out from the objective, until they move 6" after shooting. This faction is insane

In the centre, my Avatar managed to fail Battleshock, despite being quite literally an avatar of destruction. I guess even the god of war gets spooked by scary golden men sometimes. As such, I was treated to the nervewracking experience of falling back and needing a 3+ to keep my 295-point model alive. Actually having to roll the die felt like an afront to Aeldari players everywhere, but it came up with a 3 and my Avatar got to survive the turn. Otherwise, I lined up 10 Shadow Spectres, a Lynx and several other units and absolutely deleted the surviving Custodian Guards.

The centre finally cleared by massed Aeldari guns

My good luck continued, with a Hornet in my backfield finally bringing down the Allarus and the Lynx on the left bringing the Calladius down to a couple of wounds. The last Hornet lined it up and it detonated, killing an Arbite nearby. 

Aeldari skimmers win the artillery duel on the left flank

A Warden from the squad that dropped in last turn got blasted despite its 4+++, and his two buddies were moveblocked by Shroudrunners for next turn. These bikes can’t really do damage in this matchup, but they’re still easily earning their place. 

Finally, my dice decided I was due some excitement after last turn’s debacles. The D-Cannon targeted the large Warden squad and managed to score two Devastating Wounds after Fate Dice, before the Custodes absolutely flunked their 4+++ rolls to lose the entire Warden squad! The Blade Champion survived, but it was still a devastating blow. And to add insult to injury, it turns out he can’t even advance and charge unless he’s attached to a unit. Brutal.

The D-Cannon showing why it's still worth it at 105 points
 
End of the turn and things are starting to snowball for the Aeldari as the Custodes run out of units

Custodes Turn 4

Also, we were accidentally putting some of my Primary scores in the wrong column. It gets fixed later but looks gross for now

With their home-field objective flipped, the Custodes only scored 6 points on Primary this turn (although we messed up and gave them 9 anyway). Their Secondaries were some improvement, with Extend Battlelines just requiring them to retake their backfield objective and Tempting Target still possible despite my move-blocking.

Things started well for the Custodes, with the Allarus in the backfield effortlessly shredding my Shadow Spectres to reclaim the Custodes objective. 

Yesh, this was always the likely outcome of this move

The Wardens moved to try and charge the War Walker to flip my right objective, but I Phantasmed away to safety. That strat truly is so insane. The frustrated Wardens gunned down a Shroudrunner, but failed their big charge onto the Autarch, foiling that plan.

An easy 7" charge!
Phantasm strikes again

Finally, the Blade Champion went heroically charging forward into the Avatar. Using Slayer of Nightmares to cancel out Fortune, he finally dealt the damage to bring the monster crashing to the ground. It was probably too late to impact the game much, but it was An Extremely Cool Moment. The Custode could join the storied ranks of approximately half the galaxy in having killed an Avatar of Khaine.

Very, very cool. Love this

He then chose to consolidate into the nearby Shadow Spectres to try and tie them up, only for their pile-in and consolidation moves to bring enough of them onto the objective to flip it back to the Aeldari. We decided not to bother rolling their strikes back.


Who said combat movement shenanigans were dead?

Aeldari Turn 4

Aeldari pulling rapidly ahead here

Going into Turn 4, I scored a 12 on Primary and drew Engage and Secure No Man’s Land. Both were very doable, and I started my turn by flinging the central Shadow Spectres and one Lynx forward to max Engage. 

Engage was made for Aeldari armies

Nearly the whole rest of my army followed them up, bringing all guns to bear on the surviving Custodes. 

The Warhost sweeps in to cleanse the field of Custodes

The Wardens, Blade Champion and Allarus were all blasted to pieces by massed lance/pulsar fire, but the FNP rolls of the Exaction squads were insane. The medic on one squad managed to laugh off a hit from a Lynx pulsar (showing the impressive capabilities of 40k medicine!), and in the end one squad of Arbites managed to survive the deluge untouched.

It's just a fleshwound!
Only a handful of space cops remain of the once-mighty Custodes force

Still, with all the Custodes combat pieces gone we agreed to call it a day. We talked out the last turn and drew the last few Secondaries, determining the final score of 100:60 in favour of the Aeldari!

Final score, plus 3 extra Primary for the Custodes on Turn 4
State of the board at the end of Turn 4


Strategy Analysis

Overall, I think my strategy going into the game was correct. I needed to play a cautious few turns in order to secure a materiel edge, while keeping my safe midfield objective secure in order to avoid falling too far behind on Primary. Various things went sideways in the middle there, but that was the right way to approach the game. Similarly, the Custodes needed to push me hard on Turn 2 in order to prevent me playing a slow trading game, because I had way too many cheap fast units to contest on that front.

An interesting question we discussed after the game is whether my opponent should have brought out the Wardens on the second turn. There wasn’t much for them to do (literally just kill the unit of Shroudrunners I’d blocked them with), but it might have put them in a better position to pressure me on the next turn. On the other hand, maybe I would have just move-blocked them with Shadow Spectres and they would have been stuck in the open against my guns. Clearly what ended up happening with the D-Cannon makes the current play worse in hindsight, but it’s also hard to overstate how much the threat they posed from behind that building dictated and constrained my movement.

They didn't exactly have a lot of options here

For my part, I think there were a few errors I could have tightened up. There wasn’t really any need for the War Walker to be in the Calladius’ line of sight on Turn 2: I had it positioned back a bit in order to make a charge by the Alalrus harder, but ultimately my opponent was never going to bring that unit forward to try for a 10” charge anyway. After all, they could just teleport and go for the 9” one somewhere else. Failing to screen my backfield on Turn 2 was also a needless error, albeit one that shouldn’t have cost me as much as it did.

Why was this War Walker here? Good question 

List Analysis

Starting with the Custodes, this list felt very solid. Those two big bricks are each extremely scary in their own ways, and the two characters feel like the best two options. Trajann is obviously an absolute beatstick, but I don’t think he compares to getting free -1D or Fights First from the Shield-Captain, or advance/charge from the Blade Champion. The chaff is chaff, and the Calladii do give the list a lot of scary long-ranged punch. When I play against pure-infantry Custodes my tanks get to be extremely disrespectful with their movement, but the presence of those two big guns meant I was forced into paying attention to terrain. Boo.

This deployment looks very different if there aren't Caladii to threaten an alpha strike

The Eversor didn’t really accomplish much, but I still think he pulled his weight here. Ultimately, something was going to have to go forward for Engage on Turn 1, and the only real alternatives Custodes can access for those early mobility Secondaries are the Allarus (who cost almost twice as much) or Bikes (who cost even more!). If he wasn’t up against Aeldari then he’d probably have traded for a screening unit and some VPs, which is better than a Vindicare could have done here.

My list had a number of minor changes I’d make, but overall I absolutely loved it. I always think Aeldari play best when they’re packed full of chaff units, because often those chaff can actually pack quite a punch too. Here, I had 13 cheap units that I was happy to trade for points or a good move-block, with solid-great mobility and a damage output that really adds up. Couple that with the Lynxes for big shots from an unexpected angle (and way more durability than you’d expect for that cost!) and the D-Cannons for consistently-terrifying indirect, and the list has some serious teeth.

Shoot D-cannons at stuff for long enough and eventually this kind of thing will happen

I was a little disappointed by the Vyper (ignores cover is nice, but it’s otherwise so much worse than a Hornet), and the Death Jester was merely ‘okay´ in a list that otherwise felt incredible. I’m not sure exactly what I’d swap either out for though, as I can’t field any more of my favourite 80-point Aeldari units and I don’t have the points for anything better. Maybe I could combine both into another Lynx?

Speaking of which, I think the Lynx really is stern competition to the Fire Prism. It has some noticeable downsides, but being so much faster is great, and not instantly dying when looked at by guns is a real step up. I don’t think there’s a clear right answer here, but both are clearly so much better than most of their equivalents in other factions that it’s almost academic. Take whichever you have and they’ll do great.

Being able to survive that first volley back from the Calladius was a big deal

Finally, the absolute star of the list was the Avatar. He didn’t kill that much more than his points cost, but being able to charge him in and out-brawl a whole Custodian Guard unit is an incredible asset. I went in thinking that he was mostly just in there as a bit of a meme unit, but I am convinced. He’s insane, and he’s going in all my lists for the next little while!

He lost 5 wounds from this. 5! 

 

Balance Analysis

Yeah, so, Aeldari are still pretty busted.

The qualifiers first: the balance changes were huge, and I really felt them this game. I still had about 5 Fate Dice left at the end, and quite good ones as well (I’d burned all the bad rolls with my Farseer). In the past I could have used all those 4’s and 5’s to make the Avatar just laugh off the Guardians, or to guarantee the kills on the Calladii. Instead, I… couldn’t. Coupling that with the price hikes — which were why I wasn’t running insanely-undercosted Wraithknights or Fire Prisms — and the army has been toned down substantially.

This pic shows a pre-nerf Wraithknight melting a Tyrannofex in Overwatch. RIP to one of the most oppressive combos I've ever inflicted on someone

For all those qualifiers though, this still did not feel fair or balanced. To start with, I felt like I had at least 2-3 more units than I should. Being able to go so incredibly wide while still retaining punch and getting to field an Avatar as well just made the list feel effortless to pilot. I could throw units forward to move-block or score Secondaries with reckless abandon, all while keeping back a crazy amount of hitting power to punish whatever my opponent retaliated with. I don’t want to dive into the whole ‘compare this great unit to this mediocre one in another index’ thing, but these units generally just felt too cheap for their firepower and mobility.

Speaking of mobility, I’m just gonna keep mentioning Phantasm until it’s changed or you all get sick of hearing about it. That strat is genuinely just game-changing at all points, in every single turn, in more ways than I’ve even scratched the surface of. It lets you move-block then save the unit, it lets you make easy charges impossible, it lets you unexpectedly flip objectives, it lets you do just about everything you could possibly want.

To pick just one example from a game in which I used it 4/4 turns: on Turn 2, if I hadn’t mispositioned the War Walker, then my opponent wouldn’t have been able to bring his Calladius out to shoot my right Lynx, because if they did then they’d have nothing to shoot after I Phantasmed to safety. So just by having the strat I was radically altering my opponent’s options for the turn, even without using it. As it was I did misposition that War Walker, so Phantasm was just the difference between my opponent shooting my medium-durability big gun or my high-durability small gun. That’s already a huge gain, and it could have been even better! And obviously using Phantasm to strand the Eversor and the Wardens was great both times, and getting the Shadow Spectres back onto my homefield objective prevented an 11-point swing against me from the Allarus. This strat is easily the best in the game and I absolutely love it. Aeldari could be bottom-5 with only awful units and this strat would be incredible.


Phantasm was 1CP for 11VP here, and that wasn't even the most impactful use of the strat this game!

To sum up: Aeldari feel much more reasonable than they did a month ago, so the ‘disaster-management’ goal of the balance patch has been achieved. They’re still extremely powerful though, and are definitely going to need further changes going forward.

 My casualty pile at the end of the game. Around 550 points lost after tabling my opponent

If you made it to the end of that, then thank you for reading and I hope you enjoyed! Feel free to let me know if the comments how you’re finding the Aeldari post-nerf, and if there are any particular matchups you’d like to see me write up. I can’t guarantee I’ll get to them, but I’m always keen to hear whether people want the hyper-competitive stuff or more relaxed fare.

Until next time, may your models always scrape by on just one wound!

Comments

  1. Hello, Some of my friend want to try the "virtual" warhammer, which softare do you use? thank you

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment