Harlequins v Tyranids Episode 4: A New Hope

 

I'm finally back to the 'Quins after a long time on the Tyranids and Asuryani. What can I say, I love me a bandwagon!

You may be thinking that you’ve seen a lot of Aeldari v Tyranids content on this blog. Well, get used to it, because until these two books get nerfed we’ll probably be playing even more of them. This time around I’ve drifted back to the Harlequins, determined to explore what’s driving their recent success. With all the Starweavers and Troupes I could ask for, am I ready to take on the terrifying Hive Fleet Leviathan?

 

Light Saedath Harlequins, 7CP

That's a lot of Troupes and boats!

Battalion

Troupe Master with Foot in the Future, fusion pistols, Player of the Light and Cegorach’s Rose      90

Troupe Master with Veiled King, fusion pistol and Storied Sword

5 Players with 2 fusion, 2 disruptors, one kiss and one caress        95

4 x 5 Players with 2 fusion, 2 disruptors and one kiss                       360

5 Players                                           65

6 x  Starweavers                                             570

 

Patrol

Shadowseer with disruptor, Mirror of Minds, Webway Dance and Eye of the Laughing God

3 x 6 Players with 2 fusion, 2 disruptors, one kiss and one caress                324

3 x Starweavers                               285

 

This list is heavily inspired by Ben Allen’s Goonhammer Open list, and feels a lot like the kind of list I used to run pre-nerf for Harlequins. Yes, there’s no Voidweavers, but there’s a metric ton of Troupes in Starweavers, backed up by some brutal murder-characters. What excited me about this list is that all the Troupes are loaded to the gills with shooting weapons, making it reminiscent of the old Soaring Spite fusion-boats lists. The result is a force with crazy mobility, lots of combat punch, ObSec for days and some truly heinous close-ranged shooting. But will it be enough to take on the mighty Hive Fleet Leviathan?

 

Hive Fleet Leviathan Tyranids, 7CP

More monsters than the last Leviathan list, but a lot less beef. Can't argue with 18 HVC shots though

Patrol

Neurothrope  with Synaptic Tendrils        100

Winged Hive Tyrant with Maw-Claws      190

2 x 3 Warriors                   150

Maleceptor                        170

3 Zoanthropes                  150

5 Tyrant Guard                 200

2 Harpies, one with Synaptic Enhancement                          350

 

Patrol

Tyranid Prime                    85

Winged Hive Tyrant with Reaper of Obliterax and Adaptive Physiology

10 Gargoyles                     80

Deathleaper with Alien Cunning                95

2 x Carnifexes with heavy venom cannon, scything talons and enhanced senses                  240

 

I believe this list is a variant on the one that made it to the top tables of the Rocky Top Rumble. It’s by and large pretty standard Leviathan fare, but has two extra characters in the Prime and Deathleaper. The Prime is a good buffing unit that helps make the shooting of this list even more formidable, while Deathleaper is a problem-solving piece who helps shore up its relative lack of ObSec when compared to more Warrior-heavy lists. It went 7:1 at a GT and it’s filled with power, let’s see how the Harlequins do against it!

 

Secondaries and Deployment

Engage/Assassinate/RND v Strangle/Ritual/TtL

Playing on Data Scry Salvage, I was a bit hesitant about my Secondaries. Stranglehold is probably a worse bet than Engage on this map, but beyond that I’m not really sure. I certainly have enough mobile Troops units to RND, but I also don’t really want to be sacrificing their shooting and combat any more than I have to. And while Owen’s list does give up some killing Secondaries, I’m not especially confident in any of those picks either. In the end, I decide to just bite the bullet and RND, alongside picking up Assassinate as the best of the killing Secondaries. It’s not great, but it’s theoretically maxable, and might force Owen to play more defensively with his five characters,

For Owen, on the other hand, Secondaries were easy. The list is designed around TtL, it’s going to be aiming for Stranglehold even on a mission like this, and Warp Ritual is pretty much guaranteed points with a Neurothrope. With Owen’s Secondary picks being so much easier than mine, I’m going to need to win this game on the Primary.

Before that though, I need to survive the first turn. I deploy very defensively, with a couple of Starweavers on the flanks and the rest castled up in safety. 

I forgot how easily these Starweavers fit together when you're trying to hide them

Owen takes the complete opposite approach, reasoning that he has better long-range firepower than me so he might as well deploy most things in the open. The exception are the medium bugs, which aren’t interested in receiving my 54 shuriken cannon shots on Turn 1.


Tyranids ready to make a big push for the centre

As ever with Aeldari, I’d quite like to go second. I have great capabilities to score a 12 on Primary in the final turn, and on a mission with Domination scoring that could be the difference between life and death.

 

Harlequins Turn 1, 14:25

Ah well, them’s the breaks. I play very cautiously this round, with the most exciting movement being a lone Troupe zipping forward to grab the two left objectives from behind a wall. 

65 points to pick up 2-10 Primary points. Good stuff

Three Starweavers also carefully measure out angles to be able to target the Maleceptor without being shot by the Carnifexes, although they only do 2 damage with their shooting. 

It's hard to see, but there's a very tiny bit of claw showing here

I make a mistake here by failing to move a boat  onto one of these objectives to guarantee some Primary for next turn, but at least I RND on the other flank. Both the Troupe and Starweaver there are just far enough back to make a Flyrant charge risky, especially with the Light stratagem for a 6” counter-move.

Not a big turn, but at least I should be pretty safe for next round

 

Tyranids Turn 1, 14:34

The Tyranid turn sees a massive push forward all along the front. Harpies swoop forward to line up angles on a Starweaver, Gargoyles move to hold the two objectives on Owen’s left, the Tyrant Guard stage forward and the two Flyrants hover nearby to dominate this side of the field. They’re worth a massive 17 points alive, so Owen is in no hurry to commit them.

The Swarm advances

In the centre, the Neurothrope floats forward and Warp Rituals, accompanied by its over-sized Carnifex bodyguards. 

Lots of big stompy boys on this flank

One gets a toe onto the centre-right objective, while the Maleceptor hurtles forward and evaporates my Troupe with its Psychic Overload. Anyone who told you these things were crippled by the nerfs has never seen them evaporate Aeldari! 

Zap zap goes the Maleceptor

Deathleaper lurks ominously nearby, ready to leap onto one of the objectives next turn and cause some, uh, death.

Thankfully, Owen’s Shooting phase is much less successsful. The two Harpies open up on a Starweaver, miss a whole bunch, then see two of their three successful wounds ignored by Luck rerolls. Harlequin boats, still hard to kill!

12 shots, 4 hits, 3 hits, 2 saves. Good stuff

Harlequins Turn 2, 19:34

A 0 on Primary wasn't really how I wanted to start this turn

With the death of my forward Troupe I scored a 0 on Primary last turn, so it’s imperative that I do the same to Owen. The right-hand Troupe therefore goes leaping forward, taking some pot-shots at the Harpies before slamming into the Gargoyles in combat.

Some sneaky movement to stay outside 3" of the Spore Mines

A flurry of Harlequin blades and the Tyranids are wiped out, leaving both the nearby objectives unclaimed. Well, I’m theoretically holding one, but I don’t hold any great expectations of this Troupe surviving.

There used to be 10 Gargoyles here, but this is what Troupes do best

That’s the simplest part of my turn, because otherwise I’m faced with a dilemma. I really want to commit to the Harpies because they’re the biggest threat to my army, but to do so I need to come within reach of the Flyrants and other nasties. It’s incredibly tempting, but in the end I decide that flying straight into the trap Owen has set is probably not a good idea.

Instead, I commit hard to the left flank. 3 Starweavers and 2 Troupes move to line up the Maleceptor, while 5 full Starweavers get angles on both it and the Carnifexes. 

Starweavers move to blow up some bugs
It's like a little conference!

This is a terrifying amount of firepower, and I’m optimistic that if I kill these three monsters I can even gun down the Neurothrope with some spare shuriken cannons.

The plan starts well, with the Shadowseer doing 5 wounds to the front Carnifex through Mirror of Minds and shooting. Alas, Owen reminds me that he used the Neurothrope Imperative this turn for a reason, and promptly saves three of the mortals with his 5+++. 

Mirror of Minds kind of goes off, but that 5+++ pulls it back

The Maleceptor manages to laugh off all the fusion aimed at it, but is finally worn down by massed neuro disruptors and shuriken. The front Carnifex, which has a 4++ from Hive Nexus, manages to survive an inordinate amount of shooting as well. But it finally falls to the onslaught, and its buddy behind is evaporated almost instantly by 3 fusion hits. I’ve got no shots left for the exposed Neurothrope, and I made the call not to RND this round, but I’ve basically cleared all Owen’s offensive pieces from this flank!

There used to be three monsters on this flank. Now there are only Harlequins and Deathleaper

Tyranids Turn 2, 19:40

Not looking like it'll be a strong Primary score for either of us at this point

Owen has two challenges this turn. First, he’s starting to run out of boots on the ground to hold his left objectives. A Warrior squad starts shifting over, but in the meantime he has to make do with one Flyrant and the Tyrant Guard nudging out to hold them. 

Tyranids forced to make some interesting choices to hold onto all three objectives

At least he doesn’t have to worry about the nearby Troupe, who are obliterated by the nearby Spore Mines even as the Harpies pump out another 6. Shocking news, Harpies are pretty strong guys.

A regular minefield here

The other challenge for Owen is that while I’ve exposed a lot of my forces, I’ve done so while clearing out the nearby Tyranids. So in terms of effective responses, he basically has the Harpies, one Flyrant, the Zoanthropes and Deathleaper. The Lictor *ahem* leaps forward, charging one Starweaver and doing some minor damage while flipping the far-right objective.

That’s almost the only thing that goes right for Owen, however. The Zoanthropes Smite a boat but fail to kill it, and the terrifying firepower of two Harpies is only able to damage another. Tyranid shooting is not well-equipped to get past Luck rerolls and a 4++! The Flyrant’s attempt to cast Warp Ritual is denied, even with the Neurothrope’s casting buff, forcing Owen to keep wasting casts on that Secondary. 

Denying this Ritual is a huge deal in a game that probably won't score high

Owen contemplates charging it into two Starweavers, but realises that the risk of failing to kill them both and being unable to Overrun is too high. Once again, the change to Encircle is showing its importance! So the Tyrant is left to massively overkill a 1-wound Starweaver, before Overruning back to behind the Tyrant Guard.

Troupe Master and the Troupe ready to wreak some havoc next turn

It's been a fairly rough turn for Owen, and I’m keen to capitalise on it.

 

Harlequins Turn 3, 39:35

I got a 4! Amazing work on this mission

I’m feeling surprisingly confident at the start of my turn, at least for someone who’s down by 21 points. I’ve only lost two Troupes and one boat, and am in a great position to strip some points off Owen this turn. In particular, I’ve realised that if I just ignore the Harpies and kill off Owen’s ground forces, then I can potentially secure an overwhelming Primary advantage. It’s a big call to leave my opponent’s two most dangerous pieces totally untouched, but I’m laser-focussed on that scoreline right now.

To that end, my turn starts with the freshly-disembarked Troupe Master and his Troupe zipping forward, ready to charge onto Owen’s home objective and flip it. This has the potential to score me Assassinate points for killing the Prime, give Owen another 0 on Primary, and stop him doing the mission-specific action to deny him more points next turn. This push is supported by three full Staweavers, moving forward to unload everything into the Tyrant Guard to try and bring down a TtL choice. Another Starweaver moves to support in the centre, while its Troupe disembarks to hopefully charge onto the centre-right objective. 

Harlequins push hard into Owen's territory

Finally, on the far-left I disembark two Troupes. One begins to RND while holding both objectives, while the other (with the support of two Starweavers) aims to take out Deathleaper through shooting and combat. We actually forgot about Deathleaper’s rule against starting actions within 6” of him, but I could have fairly easily positioned around it if we’d remembered.

Those strung-out Players should have been a few inches further back from Deathleaper, but it wouldn't have mattered 

Shooting is a mixed bag. On the one hand, the massive convergence of firepower in the centre manages to obliterate the Tyrant Guard, stripping 5 points off Owen and ensuring his Tyrants will have nowhere safe to stand in future turns. On the other hand, the shooting into the Flyrant itself is totally ineffectual, and the Prime survives a number of fusion shots to the face thanks to the Zoanthrope Imperative 5++. Deathleaper also survives on a frustrating 2 wounds, forcing me to charge in and deal with him fighting first.

I attempt to solve this problem by popping the embrace stratagem, but fail to score a single 4+ on my six dice. In hindsight, I couldn’t have actually used that strat because of Deathleaper’s special rule, so I guess I’m glad it didn’t do anything!

Still, this means I now have three combats I desperately want to start with, knowing that Owen could interrupt and really ruin my day. In the end, I decide the most important one is the Cegorach’s Rose Troupe Master going into the Warriors. They pop their -1D stratagem, then I counter with my own +1D strat. This takes the Master back to the critical Damage 3, which he uses to slaughter the squad then consolidate back into a nearby Starweaver. 

If you're taking a Troupe Master, it should have Cegorach's Rose. The other relics are nice, but D3 is king

Owen interrupts for free with Deathleaper, but some good save rolls see only two Harlequins die. The remaining four swarm over him and finally bring the Lictor down, but it was a close-run thing. 

Deathleaper falls at last

Over on Owen’s objective, the other Troupe manages to kill the Prime as well, while the central Troupe charge and tie up the Neurothrope to slide onto the objective. They fail to do any real damage, but they’ve given Owen another 0 on Primary.

 

Tyranid Turn 3, 39:38

Another 0 for Owen as things start to tilt into my favour

Their (impending) heroic sacrifice means Owen will struggle to score points this turn, so instead he focusses on killing some more of my exposed units. Both Harpies move to do some damage, while dropping Spore Mines to clear out the Troupe that had tied up the Neurothrope. This allows it to move onto Owen’s centre-left objective, while both Hive Tyrants go onto the offensive. 

Tyranids counterattack hard

The Reaper swoops across to centre to prey on disembarking Harlequins, while the Maw-Claws Flyrant uses Onslaught to get all the way onto the centre-right objective. Finally, the surviving Warriors about-face and move to clear off Owen’s home objective.

Reaper Flyrant ready to kill whatever it touches

Shooting and Psychic sees two Starweavers destroyed, with the one in the centre disgorging a Troupe and Troupe Master, while the other contained only the Cegorach’s Rose Master. Dramatically, I also succeed in denying Warp Ritual again after Owen’s dice spike downwards. The Reaper Flyrant crashes into the central Troupe and obliterates them, but forgets to Overrun back afterwards. We only register this mistake halfway through my next Shooting phase, and by that point Owen decides the game-state has changed too much for take-backs. The other Flyrant attempts to charge my Troupe that’s strung between the two right objectives, but I use the Light stratagem to pull them back out of a reliable charge range. Instead he dives in and smashes up a nearby Starweaver, while holding the centre-right objective for Stranglehold.

Troupe ready to dart away and survive another round

Finally, the shooting and combat of the Warriors easily clears my Troupes off Owen’s home objective. Alas.

Ah well, they put in a good performance


Harlequins Turn 4, 52:33

Another round of 4 Primary is about the most I can expect 

Still lots of Tyranids on the board

I’m now in the driver’s seat, and am determined to push my advantage. That starts with the two surviving Troupes on my left flank leaping forward to pummel the Maw-Claws Flyrant with shooting and combat. 

Time to bring down this Flyrant

In the centre, the now-exposed Reaper Flyrant is attacked by the Storied Sword Troupe Master and two Starweavers, while another Troupe and their Starweaver move to claim both of Owen’s left objectives.

Time for a heroic duel 

Finally, the Cegorach’s Rose Master goes in for the kill on the last Warrior squad.

Hello again!

Shooting sees both Flyrants reduced to a handful of wounds, while the Zoanthropes lose a model and even the Harpies take some chip damage. In combat, I swing first with the Rose Troupe Master yet again. Owen pops -1D, I pop +1D, and the Warriors disappear. Sadly, this gives Owen the chance to interrupt with the Reaper Flyrant, which promptly hacks my other Troupe Master into a welter of pieces. 

This didn't work out as well as I hoped

On my left flank, the heroic Troupes manage to drag down the Maw-Claws Flyrant after I burn 2 CP on their mortal wound strats, and yet another Troupe bounces off the Neurothrope while holding a critical objective.

At last the Flyrant falls

Both of these objectives get flipped to take Owen down to another 0

Owen only actually lost two units this turn, but I’m now holding all 6 objectives. He has models left to hurt me with, but the game is probably lost.

 

Tyranids Turn 4, 52:33

Owen still yet to score a Primary point

Owen has 4 unengaged units to move, and needs to get a lot down with all of them. One Harpy wounds the Troupe Master with its Spore Mines before speeding over to clear the Troupes and Starweavers off my left flank, while the other swoops in to try and kill the Shadowseer and Starweaver on my home objective. 

The Harpies swoop down to try and clear me off three objectives

The Zoanthropes float ominously down to evaporate the Troupe Master, while the Flyrant charges into both my Starweaver and Troupe on Owen’s left objectives.

Remaining Tyranids move to clear me out of their backfield

Psychic goes well enough, with the key buffs going off and the Troupe Master finally falling to a Zoanthrope Smite. 

This Troupe Master had a good run, but there's nothing in this faction that can survive Zoanthropes 

Shooting is a disaster for Owen, with Troupes falling and Starweavers taking wounds but no squads being destroyed. Combat goes better, with the Flyrant wiping out both the units it had charged, but at the end of the turn I’m still holding 3 objectives to deny Owen Stranglehold.

Reaper Flyrant as unstoppable as ever

 

Harlequins Turn 5, 71:28

This mission/matchup is so hard for Primary that I'm actively excited to score an 8

I don’t have many models left at the start of my Turn 5, so my turn is largely about frustrating Owen’s scoring as much as possible. Two Starweavers speed over to contest the left objectives, with one filled with Troupes to take some final pot-shots at the Hive Tyrant. 

One final Harlequin push

A lone surviving Player from one of my left-hand squads sprints over to try and flip Owen’s backfield objective, making his charge into the Zoanthropes with a CP reroll.

The Troupe on my left flank starts the Shooting phase well by hitting the Harpy twice with their fusion pistols, using a Luck reroll to get two wounds, then blowing it clean from the sky with boxcars on damage. It doesn’t really matter for scoring, but it was very impressive. 

Two clean fusion shots to kill that damned Harpy

The Shadowseer and Starweavers almost repeat the feat against the other Harpy between Psychic and Shooting, while the final Starweavers on my right flank go ballistic. The embarked Troupe detonates the Hive Tyrant with another 2 fusion wounds, and the two Starweavers gun down the Neurothrope into the bargain!

This Tyrant alone is a 9-point swing!

Finally, the lone surviving Player kills a wounded Zoanthrope in combat while dodging the other’s attacks backs, leaving me in control of all 6 objectives once again.

The Tyranids took his Troupe, so he took their objective

We call the game there, as while Owen still has a Harpy and a Zoanthrope, he no longer has any way to score points. It’s been a brutal game, but the Harlequins are victorious 71:28!

This scoreline doesn't reflect how close the game actually was

Post-Game Analysis

I think this game largely came down to two factors: my overall strategy was solid, and Owen’s dice had some real cold moments.

In general, I find this mission tends to lend itself well to a strategy of ‘overwhelm one flank, sweep across from there’, at least for Aeldari lists. With my mobility, that means I can generally bring all of my firepower to bear every turn, while my opponent will often have a number of isolated and useless units. That definitely paid off this game, with one Flyrant not getting into combat until Turn 3! That let me get an early leg up on the attrition game, giving me a materiel lead that snowballed across the game.

My decision to pivot left instead of right was a huge deal in this game

I was also quite happy with how I leveraged that lead to cripple Owen’s scoring. I could have gone hard against the Harpies and hoped to win the long game, but instead I just accepted that they were going to take chunks out of me and I’d be better off stopping Owen from scoring instead. I was helped in that by the relative lack of meat in this Tyranid list; once the Carnifexes and Maleceptor were down, there just weren’t that many units Owen could put onto an objective. Ditching the Prime and maybe Deathleaper for a bunch more Warriors or Pyrovores would have made it way harder for me to just body out the ground troops and ignore the flyers.

Owen still had lots of points on the board in the lategame, but not much to hold objectives with

Finally, I can’t ignore that my materiel lead was made a lot more substantial by some absurd swings of the dice. Owen’s shooting in Turn 2 really should have killed at least one Starweaver, but those Harlequins really showed off their durability against low-volume anti-tank weapons. I also spiked absurdly hard on damage in the final round, but at that point it was very much just salt in the wound.

I really liked this Harlequin list, it felt exactly like how Harlequins should play. I love the speedy skirmish playstyle, and this list had that in spades. It felt a lot more forgiving than my Asuryani builds, although it also felt like I was playing on a clock. Owen was eventually gonna kill my Harlequins, it was just a matter of getting the damage and points I needed before that. I can imagine its reliance on neuro disruptors could feel pretty bad against a Knights build, and I would really love to fit in a little more long-ranged shooting, but fitting in a squadron of Voidweavers would require some real sacrifices. I’d also contemplate dropping one Starweaver for a Solitaire. He’s not quite as necessary when you already have two Troupe Masters, and he makes Assassinate more of a risk, but I just love the mobility and durability he brings. Still, I was pleasantly surprised by this build, so expect to see it on the field again sometime soon!

I hope you enjoyed seeing Harlequins return to the blog. They're such a fun army to play and fit my playstyle so well, I think I like them almost as much as Hail of Doom Asuryani. What did you think of the battle? Is the Tyranid list too optimised for damage, or is it just a rough matchup for the 'Nids? Why, in your opinion, is the Cegorach's Rose Troupe Master the best character in the game? As always, I'm keen to hear from you!

Until next time, may your boats always pass their invulnerable saves! 

Comments