Asuryani v Tyranids Episode 5: The Bugs Strike Back

Yes, we're playing Asuryani v Tyranids again. Yes, we've played this matchup a lot. No we're probably not going to stop

Roll up, roll up, for this week’s round of Asuryani v Tyranids! I’m running my favourite Hail of Doom build, while Owen has decided he wants one more attempt at a Leviathan Warrior-spam build. Last time I faced Warrior-spam with Aeldari it narrowly pipped my Harlequins; can their more enlightened brethren do better? Read on and find out…

 

Hail of Doom/Masterful Shots Custom Craftworld, 7CP

A few less Avengers than normal, but still an awful lot of guns

Patrol

Farseer with Guide, Convergence of Fate (Seer Council)                  90

Farseer with Fortune, Will of Asuryan           90

2 Warlocks with Quicken/Restrain, Seer Council                                40

10 Guardian Defenders                                               90

2 x 1 Vyper with scatter lasers                    80

1 x 10 Dire Avengers, Exarchs with extra catapult                 120

2 x 1 War Walker with two shuriken cannons                                     130

 

Outrider Detachment

Farseer Skyrunner with Doom, Executioner, Kurnous’ Bow and Mark of the Incomparable Hunter   120

Baharroth                           140

2 Warlocks with Jinx                                     40

2 x 3 Windriders with shuriken catapults                                             120

9 Windriders with shuriken cannons                                      270

3 Shining Spears, Exarch with paragon sabre, Heartstrike, mirrorshield and shuriken cannon                125

10 Swooping Hawks, Exarch with The Phoenix Plume                      180

6 Swooping Hawks                         108

6 Dire Avengers, Exarch with extra catapult                         72

5 Howling Banshees, Exarch with Piercing Strikes, mirrorswords and Cronescream             105

Webway Gate                                                 80

 

Total: 2000 points

You know it, you love it (or at least, you probably don’t hate it as much as Leviathan Tyranids). The only major change from previous iterations of this build is that I’ve made the heretical decision to go down from 25 Dire Avengers to 16, and used the spare points to bring along some War Walkers. I’ve been finding the Avengers to fold a little too easily once exposed, so I’m trying out how I go with a few less of them. In exchange, the War Walkers give me forward deploy, plenty of extra shuriken cannon shots and some semi-durable units to sit on midfield objectives. A good trade? Maybe, we’ll find out.

 

 

Hive Fleet Leviathan, 6CP

A whole lotta beef in this army

Patrol

Winged Hive Tyrant with Reaper, Adaptive Biology                                         190

Neurothrope with Resonance Barb and Synaptic Tendrils                              100

3 Tyrant Guard                  120

3 Zoanthropes                   150

Maleceptor                        170

3 Venomthropes               105

2 x 5 Warriors, one squad with a venom cannon 255

1 Exocrine with Voracious Ammunition                                  185

1 Harpy with 2 heavy venom cannons, Synaptic Enhancement                     180

 

Patrol

Hive Tyrant with Shardgullet, Perfectly Adapted, toxin sacs                          180

2 x 5 Warriors, one squad with flesh hooks           255

10 Gargoyles                                    80

1 Pyrovore                                        30

 

I gather this list was heavily inspired by Jesper Unander-Scharin’s recent GT-winning Leviathan force, especially in terms of the 5-bug Warrior squads. That gives the list a lot more potential flexibility than some other Warrior-heavy lists, and it’s backed up by all the usual suspects and an Exorcrine. Owen wanted to try it out as a TTL pick, and in concert with the Harpy and Walkrant it gives him a lot of scary firepower. Overall, this list hits hard at range and super hard up close, it’s tough as nails and it’s got lots of ObSec to fend off my sneaky Asuryani shenanigans. If you’re not building lists with this in mind then you probably need to reassess your strategy.

 

Secondaries and Deployment

Stranglehold/TtL/Warp Ritual v Stranglehold/RND/No Prisoners

Secondaries were pretty easy for Owen. On Death and Zeal his Tyranids can reliably score Stranglehold, Warp Ritual feeds into his plan to stomp onto the centre and hold it, and his army is basically built around To the Last anyway. Easy stuff. Life was harder for my Eldar. I’m still fairly confident in scoring more on Stranglehold than Engage, and Owen’s list gives up enough on No Prisoners that it’s probably a safer bet than To the Last. RND ends up as the logical third pick on the basis that I can score an 8 fairly easily, but I know Owen is unlikely to let me turn that into a 12. I could theoretically score a 12 on Bring it Down, but only 5 of those points are especially reliable when Owen’s already incentivised to hide the other 7.

Tyranids deploy to start putting me under pressure 

Owen’s deployment basically sees him cramming as many Warriors and monsters into cover as possible, while the characters take advantage of being able to stand out in the open and the Harpy hangs out in the backfield. There’s nowhere I can safely be after committing to it, so it’ll probably be pretty secure back there. 24” guns are tricky to use sometimes! 

Asuryani castle of doom

My deployment is nice and conservative as well, with only chaff deployed in striking range of the Flyrant. The main excitement is my War Walkers hiding out just outside 3” of both flanking objectives, ready to pick them up Turn 1 and score me some Stranglehold.

Not quite as much in Strategic Reserve as normal, but still plenty of counterpunch available

I’d really love to go second here, but we all know the dice don’t work that way.

 

Asuryani Turn 1, 15:25

Ah well, at least I have lots of chaff to commit. There’s nowhere for the Windriders to go while remaining safe from retaliation, so they stay hidden. The two War Walkers score me Stranglehold, while Baharroth and his boys go out to shoot some Warriors. 

Time to do some chip damage for free. Hawks are great!

They kill a couple from the front squad, do a little damage to the Maleceptor, then disappear back to safety. 

Pew pew go the Hawks

Aaaaaand that’s my turn. Riveting stuff.

 

Stranglehold, RND and the mission Tertiary, name a more iconic trio

Tyranids Turn 1, 15:33

I’ve worked pretty hard to give Owen no good targets, so his turn is about as exciting as mine. One Warrior squad scores a six on its advance roll to get onto both the left and central objective, although a failed cast on Onslaught means they can’t try and charge my War Walker. The Neurothrope floats forward to Warp Ritual, while much of the rest of the army moves forward to closer staging positions. Owen is certainly dominating the centre! 

So many Tyranids, all ready to eat me if I get too close

The Harpy remains at the back, not prepared to risk shuriken-retribution if it commits itself too early.

Not a huge turn, but it did what Owen needed it to, and having both Catalyst and Hive Nexus on the central Warriors means they’ll be a pain to shift.

 

Asuryani Turn 2, 35:33

An early 8 is about the most I could hope for

To that end I bring in my small Avenger squad to shoot the Warriors up and RND, while lining up the big Windrider squad, Kurnous’ Bow Farseer and all the Hawks. 

Asuryani spread out all across the table, ready to clear out a first wave of Tyranids

Psychic sees that Farseer unleash Executioner on the depleted Warrior squad I targeted on the first turn, successfully killing two even through the Neurothrope Imperative 5+++. 

This Farseer did 9 mortal wounds this turn. What a hero

Owen had popped that to try and convince me not to Eldritch Storm, and it works; I decide I’m better off waiting for next turn. Shooting is largely just a heap of guns going into the central Warriors, and even with the -1D strat they get cleaned right off the table. Couldn’t do that with Ulthwé! 

Bang go the Windriders
Hawks finish off the Warriors

I also pop some wounds onto the Pyrovore with the Hawks, then charge the last Warrior from the Executioner-ed squad with Baharroth. He does what he does best, then returns home to safety.

He might not be a Flyrant, but he's pretty close

Again, not too exciting of a turn, but half of the Warriors are dead. Hopefully Owen runs out of them before I run out of turns!

And again, everyone is as hidden as can be

 

Tyranids Turn 2, 35:46

Asuryani take an early lead on Primary
The next wave of Tyranids ready to go

The happy side-effect of those Warriors being minced is Owen only scores a 4 on Primary this turn. Aeldari beating Tyranids on Primary, amazing! Owen’s plan for the turn is to start to kill off my chaff and pick up Stranglehold again. 

Tyranids staging towards the centre

The latter starts with the Maleceptor coming out to melt my War Walker through a wall, as well as chipping some wounds onto the Dire Avengers. 

War Walker evaporates, having scored me 7 points and never fired

Shooting from the next squad of Warriors targets some misplaced Hawks, but is unable to convert into any kills. The Walkrant is similarly unsuccessful, as while it hammer my other War Walker with 3 Shardgullet hits, I have an invulnerable save and 3 Fate Dice to spend. 

Tyranid firepower v Asuryani foresight

The Harpy also whiffs against the same War Walker, failing to get the wounds it needs to bring down its prey. I do lose a Vyper to the Flyrant, however, before it Overruns to safety behind the Tyrant Guard.

This Vyper probably didn't need to be here if I'm honest

Finally, the Neurothrope casting Warp Ritual and the Pyrovore trotting onto the left objective mean Owen is scoring well on his Secondaries. Again, not a crazy turn, but it got Owen the points he needed to stay ahead of my Eldar.

I'm gonna have to hit hard to push these 'Nids backwards


Asuryani Turn 3, 54:46

Not sure how long I can keep up this Primary scoring

My turn starts with a couple of big decisions. Owen decides to pop the Zoanthrope Imperative, and I decide it’s time for my Eldritch Storm. It goes off right in the middle of a lot of the Tyranid army, but some appalling rolls to cast the Psychic Action means I only boost it with one Farseer. The result is a bit of a whiff, with an okay number of mortals being done but very few models actually being removed. I really needed a lot more from this, so it was a big deal.

6" from this point is a lot of units, but not many models removed

Elsewhere, the Banshees show up from the Webway to help secure the leftmost objective and RND that quarter. 

Piling a few too many units out on this flank

I totally forget the Guardians though, only remembering at the very end of the turn. Thankfully, Owen is generous enough to say I should bring them in anyway. I repay the favour by dumping them right at the back of my quarter, where they can contribute absolutely nothing this for the next few turns.

The Hawks and Baharroth do their thing, while the big Avenger squad pokes its nose out to target the central Warriors. The Windrider deathstar zip out to light up the Maleceptor, while the lone Pyrovore finds itself facing a hail of shuriken from the survivors of the small Avenger squad.

Shooting is a fairly disappointing affair. An absolute storm of shuriken and las-fire from much of my army manages to wipe out the central Warriors, but I have to commit a lot more than I’d like to bring them down. Doom and Jinx alone should have been enough here! 

The guns start to open up

Hawks finally finish off the last Warrior

The Windriders also dramatically underperform, doing around half their expected output to leave the Maleceptor very much alive. 

This really should have been enough to pick it up, but the dice had other ideas

Further fire from the large Hawks squad is unable to finish it off, and I’m feeling pretty down until the Dire Avengers slaughter the Pyrovore. Sometimes it’s the small things. Baharroth also kills a Tyrant Guard in combat, which is some consolation.

I unleashed almost everything at Owen this turn, and only actually killed two squads. I was feeling great about this game, but now it feels like the wheels might be about to fall off the bus.

At least I don't have anything too important exposed

Tyranids Turn 3, 54:60

Still leading on Primary for the moment

That starts with the Harpy flitting forward and dropping Spore Mines, which promptly kill three Banshees. Fresh off some recent validation in a Goonhammer Ruleshammer article, we’re still playing that the Mines can move after being dropped, but I definitely wasn’t feeling great about that right now!

Spore Mines are really painful against Aeldari

It’s shooting blasts the nearby War Walker to pieces and wounds the Banshee Exarch, while the Walkrant successfully obliterates the Vyper with Shardgullet.

Why was the Vyper somewhere that the Hive Tyrant could see? Good question

In the centre, there’s now a distinct lack of Warriors. So the Venomthropes are sent forward to hold the objective and body-block for the Hive Tyrants. 

Venomthropes getting marginally closer to me than the Tyrants will be

The Flyrant speeds forward to massacre some screening Windriders before Overrunning to safety, while the Gargoyles move up to flip a couple of objectives next turn.

Surprise!
Gargoyles and Tyrant Guard hiding out behind the wall

Finally, on the left flank the last Warriors use Onslaught to advance and charge onto the objective, slaughtering the Dire Avengers and probably putting a lock on that flank. The Maleceptor also does its best to hide, ready to frustrate me yet again next turn.

This is probably the end of my outscoring Owen on Primary

This turn felt really bad for me. Owen now has control over his left flank, while almost all of my remaining force is pinned behind my central ruin. I still have a lot of troops left, but I don’t know if I can effectively utilise them with my current positioning.

Scary stuff from the 'Nids this turn

Asuryani increasingly pinned back into one castle

Asuryani Turn 4, 74:60

Continuing to pull ahead on the scoreboard, but I really need this turn to go well for me

Still, I have an opportunity for a couple of big swings here. If I can bring down the Harpy and the Venomthropes, then there will be nothing between the Flyrant and my Windriders. I can also pull some Eldar trickery to reduce Owen’s Primary score, while unleashing my Banshees on the Gargoyles to stop him doing the same to me.

Aeldari prepare to hopefully pull ahead on scores

The Eldar trickery part of that plan goes well, with the small squad of Windriders zipping forward, receiving Will of Asuryan for ObSec, then being Quickened forward to flip Owen’s back objective. They’ll die next turn, but it’s worth it.

This is why you should never take Banners against an Asuryani player

Shooting, unfortunately, is a repeat of last turn. First the Harpy is bombarded with a metric ton of psychically-boosted shuriken and survives it all. 

Basically everything but the Windriders goes into the Harpy and it still survives

Baharroth is finally able to bring it down, but that now means I don’t have enough shooting to kill the last of the Venomthropes, with one surviving on a single wound. 

Baharroth has a bit of a habit of killing Harpies. A good habit, in my opinion

That’s a truly massive swing, as it means I can’t target the Flyrant with my buffed-up Windrider squad. For context, that squad averages around 15 wounds to a Flyrant, so missing out on that opportunity is gut-wrenching. All they can target is the lone Venomthrope, who disappears into a mist of spores as I hit it with 9 shuriken cannons.

To go from presumably killing a TtL target to vapourising a wounded 35-point Venomthrope is a sad day

Nor are those the only disappointments for the turn. The handful of Hawks that couldn’t see the Venomthropes target the Maleceptor and bring it, too, to a single wound. More dramatically, the Harpy on the left flank decides to explode when I finally bring it down. The nearby Banshees take the maximum three mortal wounds, losing me the super-Exarch and another Banshee just as they were about to hit combat. 

Oh no. This is not good at all!

The last Banshee joins Baharroth in charging the Gargoyles, because I know that if any survive I’ll be getting a 4 on Primary next turn. Unfortunately, without the super-Exarch I’m only able to kill 5 of the Gargoyles, giving Owen one more big swing for the turn.

I desperately needed these Gargoyles dead

I end my turn by setting up a nice little defensive position of Hawks and Baharroth over on the left objective. Chances are Owen will just kill the Hawks and flip it with the Gargoyles, but it’s my only shot at avoiding that 4.

In a game this close, holding this objective could be critical

Tyranids Turn 4, 74:73

Looks like the good old days of scoring 8:4 on Primary are over

Owen still has quite a lot of tools left, and he sets about using them to make my life hard. The obvious first step is in the backfield, where a combination of the Zoanthrope Smite and the Exocrine easily obliterate my Windriders. 

Yeah, that was predictable

On the right flank, the Gargoyles and Flyrant move up to flip my objective. 

Also pretty predictable

The Flyrant charges into the Hawks and absolutely massacres them, allowing the 5 remaining Gargoyles to claim the point. The Flyrant then Overruns back behind the wall, as is its wont. 

If Baharroth was placed a little bit better, those Gargoyles couldn't be on the objective without letting me Heroically Intervene. Definitely a learning point for me

The Walkrant retreats behind that same wall, leaving just the Neurothrope to control the centre for Stranglehold. It’s a risk, but it means it will be much harder for me to take out that valuable To the Last target.

Cowardly Tyranids hiding from the fierce Eldar

Finally, on the left flank the Maleceptor and Warriors hold firm, hoping to dissuade any attempts to flip this objective.

 

Asuryani Turn 5, 84:73

 

Incredibly close scoreline, but it's not looking good

Theoretically I’m actually ahead going into this turn, albeit only by a single point. Now, however, I’m really regretting going first, as Owen has an easy route to a 12 at the end of his turn. After doing some quick tallying up of the score, I realise that there are two ways I can win this: if I can stop him getting that 12 and Stranglehold then I’ll win by 1, or if I can take out two of Owen’s TtL targets then I’ll win by 4. Neither of those seem likely, but at this point I don’t have much choice.

So it’s go time for everyone, with all the Asuryani surging forward to get angles and hold objectives.

Asuryani surge forward in one last push

On the left flank, my last Dire Avengers absolutely obliterate the Gargoyles before Battle Focussing onto the objective they were holding. 

It's overkill, but better safe than sorry

Baharroth and the Shining Spears zip up to try and take out the Flyrant, while the Windriders scoot forward to draw LoS onto the Walkrant. Doom, Guide and Jinx all go off, so I’m feeling optimistic. The Hawks also flock forward to hold the central objective, along with the Guardians, who wound the Neurothrope with their shooting before using Matchless Agility to make it narrowly onto the objective.

'If I dump enough bodies on the objective, there's no way those Tyranids can take it back!'

In the Psychic phase, I make an absolutely critical mistake. I cast Will of Asuryan on my Farseer Skyrunner, then Quicken him across the field to flip Owen’s backfield objective. It’s a classic bit of Aeldari trickery, but in this case the person being tricked is me; I’ve forgotten that Owen went second, and will therefore score Primary at the end of his turn, not the start! Instead I should have hidden my Farseer in the middle of the Hawks, where he would have provided me with ObSec on the objective in case the Guardians die. Critical errors!

He's flipping the objective, but not in a way that actually matters

Shooting and combat are unable to make up for my mistake. A torrent of shuriken from the Windriders leaves the Walkrant on just a single wound, while the Hawks fail to hurt either the Neurothrope or the Maleceptor. 

Absolutely heartbreaking

The Spears bring the Flyrant down to just a couple wounds, but some clutch saves from Owen mean Baharroth can finish off neither of the Hive Tyrants in combat. 

One final charge to try and claim victory

I Skyleap him back to the safety of my Dire Avengers, but this failure is probably the game. Now Owen just has to take me off the central objective and he’ll scrape a narrow win.

 

Tyranid Turn 5, 84:90

Sure enough, the Tyranid turn basically consists of everything flocking towards the middle, ready to kill some of the pile of Asuryani I’ve exposed there. 

I think those Asuryani are about to have a bad day

The Farseer Skyrunner dies an ignominious death to a Shardgullet volley, while the Exocrine evaporates half of my Guardians. 

Goodbye Farseer, I'm sorry I misplayed you so

The remaining Guardians are easily hacked to pieces by the injured Flyrant, while the Warriors roll a massive charge move and are able to get onto the objective. 

Guardians evaporate against the furious Tyrant

They promptly eviscerate the Windriders, giving Owen ObSec and a numbers advantage on the objective. 

This scene would look very different if I had a Farseer with ObSec on this objective

With that, Owen gets his 12 and Stranglehold and it’s game over, with a narrow 90:84 win to the Tyranids!

A Primary edge, but not enough to make up for that Secondary gap

Post-Game Analysis

Well, that was somewhat infuriating. At the start of Turn 3 I was feeling totally in control of this game, and then everything started to go wrong. A combination of bad luck, a couple of key errors and the innate disadvantage of going second in this matchup saw my advantage evaporate as Owen mercilessly ground me out of the game.

I’m not going to spend too much time on the bad luck, because that’s just a feature of the game that comes up sometimes. My Turns 3 and 4 saw me kill way less than I should expect to, but that’s why it’s a dice game. The Harpy’s explosion was especially gut-wrenching though: without it I would have had an extra 13 Howling Banshee swings and D3+1 mortals going into the Gargoyles, which almost certainly wipes them. At that point I hold my left objective on the following turn, score four more VPs, and then only have to commit my units to killing one TtL target in the final turn instead of two. Given the Walkrant was left on one wound, being able to throw Baharroth and all the Shining Spears into it would have almost certainly sealed the win for me. It just goes to show how close this game was, that one explosion was enough to derail it!

The moment I knew it was all going wrong

I shouldn’t blame it all on the dice though, because some of my mistakes prevented me recovering from their swings. Had I actually thought through what I was doing with the Skyrunner, he could have sat on the central objective in total safety and given me the ObSec I needed to hold onto the central point. All I had to do was not cast Quicken and I probably win this game! Less dramatically, the placement of my Vypers and left War Walker were pretty bad all game. I kept exposing the War Walker and one Vyper to shoot onto the centre, but this allowed Owen to get angles on them with the Hive Tyrant, which is an awful trade. I needed those vehicles to survive and hold the objective, not do some meaningless chip damage to Warriors I already had the guns to kill. 

Why was I letting this happen when I could have just not?

I also placed the other Vyper too far forward, allowing the Flyrant to Overrun to a safe position after killing it. I’m used to Flyrants using Encircle to have an almost infinite uninteractible threat range, and hadn’t really registered that I can play around them a bit these days. 16” is a long way to move after fighting, but it’s not the whole board.

Finally, I think I should have committed more to either flank and less to my central castle. Part of this was my forgetting the Guardians and bringing them in out of position, and another part was the terrain, which only gave me one safe ruin, but I still think it would have been worth the investment to get more troops out to the flanks. Even putting my big Dire Avenger squad in reserve and bringing them in on the right flank would have helped a heap with keeping that critical objective contested. I couldn’t have freely RND’ed in my own quarter on Turn 1, but I could have just used the Windriders anyway, or sacrificed a turn of the small Hawk unit shooting.

This shot definitely shows the weakness of my strategy here

Speaking of Dire Avengers, I’m still uncertain about my choice to ditch 9 of them for the War Walkers. I loved having the forward deploying vehicles to hang out on the side objectives, they gave me an early Primary lead that nearly let me coast to victory. On the other hand, it would have been great to have one more hammer unit to show up and blast some ‘Nids. I’ll have to experiment with this some more, but I think I’m happy enough with the change to stick with it for now. Perhaps 1 War Walker and 5 Avengers is a good halfway point that still lets me forward deploy while having another RND option as well.

The Tyranid list felt really strong to both Owen and I, we agreed that the 5-bug Warrior bricks were really potent. The big 9-bug squads are super powerful, but they stop you taking TtL and they suck up your CP for their defensive strat. The medium-sized squads seemed to present a nice middle point where they were infuriating to take out and worthwhile investing defensive buffs on, while still being inexpensive enough to throw out onto an objective and lose. And there’s not much that can survive attacks from 5 Warriors anyway, adrenal glands or no. Our little gaming group has been pretty lukewarm on Warriors since the new book dropped, but a build like this makes them feel a lot less like a liability.

Those Warriors just kept soaking up damage

I hope you enjoyed this battle report between two giants of the meta, we certainly enjoyed playing it! Let me know in the comments what you thought of the report and lists. Are these medium-sized Warrior blobs the best things in the Tyranid book? What do you expect from the coming Chapter Approved for both these lists? And did the dice derail this game, or am I just feeling salty that my Hail of Doom winning streak is finally at an end? As always, I’m keen to hear from you.

Until next time, may your opponent’s Harpies never explode on top of your key units!

Comments