Tyranids v Post-Dataslate Grey Knights

 

A real clash of the big 'uns here

For our second game with the new Balance Dataslate, we decided to test the Tyranids against a faction that received substantial buffs: Matt’s Grey Knights. With Armour of Contempt going excellently on Marines in cover, and Tide of Shadows giving everyone cover for free, it looked like a brutal combo. But will it be enough to overcome the Shadow in the Warp?

Hive Fleet Behemoth

I decided that what I really needed from the list was to be even more resilient

Patrol

Winged Hive Tyrant with Maw-Claws, lashwhip and bonesword                  190

Neurothrope with Synaptic Tendrils                                       100

5 Tyrant Guard                                 200

3 Warriors with deathspitters and dual boneswords                         75

3 Zoanthropes                   150

2 x Maleceptor                                340

1 Carnifex with heavy venom cannon, scything talons and enhanced senses                          120

1 Carnifex with heavy venom cannon, deathspitters and enhanced senses                             130

 

Vanguard

Winged Hive Tyrant with Reaper of Obliterax and lashwhip                          190       

3 Venomthropes                              105

3 Pyrovores                                      90

2 Pyrovores                                      60

1 Pyrovore                                        30

2 Harpies with heavy venom cannons                     340

Total: 2000

 

Pyrovores are secretly one of the most efficient units in the Tyranid Codex, and perhaps the game. The issue is that if you want two Hive Tyrants then you’re probably running double Patrol, and at that point once you take the things you ‘need’ (1-2 Maleceptors, the Venomthropes and some slotless Tyrant Guard/Zoanthropes) you’re probably only left with one Elites slot to burn on Pyrovores. The solution? Turn the second Patrol into a Vanguard and bring all the Pyrovores I want! It costs me CP, my second Warrior squad and a Carnifex, but I’m hopeful that the wave of absurdly resilient flamer-beasts will be worth it. I haven’t been getting that much value from the Warriors anyway, so swapping out one squad seems very worth it. Otherwise, we’re still playing the same hits as before (double Maleceptor/Harpy/Flyrant), all in Behemoth for Lurk and thus ObSec. A tried-and-true list, let’s see how it goes against Grey Knights!

 

Swordbearers

This army is looking vastly harder to kill than it would have last week

Battalion

Grand Master in Nemesis Dreadknight with guns, hammer, teleporter, Servant of the Throne, Unyielding Anvil, Sigil of Exigence                            240

Librarian with Psychic Epitome, Artisan Nullifier Matrix and storm bolter                110

Techmarine                        80

4 x Strike Squads                             440

3 x Interceptor Squads                   390

4 Paladins, one psilencer                                             185

3 x Nemesis Dreadknights with guns, swords                       555

 

The core of this list is pretty classic, with lots of Strike Marines and Interceptors to score objectives and threaten charges while 4 Dreadknights blow stuff up. The main tech pieces are a Psychic Epitome Librarian, ready to prove he’s better than a Maleceptor at mortal wounds, and a medium-sized squad of Paladins. While the latter have generally been accepted as ‘worse than two Strike Marines in every way’, Matt hypothesised that their ability to stack a sick 0+ armour save even without cover would be pretty useful. Can’t say I disagree, I have no idea how I’ll deal with that. Generally, it’s a fast list with lots of firepower and a lot of new resilience, and I imagine its anti-psychic shenanigans will be a bit of a nightmare for my brain bugs.

 

Mission and Secondaries

We’re playing Death and Zeal on a beautiful desert board, with lots of difficult ground and sneaky hiding places. The mission is pretty good for me, in that I’m well-equipped to get onto the centre objective fast and pressure Matt early, but the distance to the outer objectives definitely favours Matt’s teleporting Marines. Getting models onto the left objective will mean slogging through difficult terrain, while going to the right will mean a long time crossing very exposed ground. Tricky.

Secondaries were hard this game. Stranglehold is still a lock because my army is great at it, and I still feel fairly certain I can keep the Tyrants and their Guard safe for To the Last. Unfortunately I don’t have many great choices for a third option. I genuinely consider Teleport Homers, but I just don’t have enough Troops to pull it off reliably. Bring it Down, Assassinate and No Prisoners would all cap at around 8 points, and that just doesn’t feel worth it to me. In the end I go for Warp Ritual. I know, Warpcraft Secondaries against Grey Knights are a classic trap. But even with Matt doing his super ‘add one, roll 3D6 pick highest two’ denies I should still be able to get 2-3 casts off on average dice, and at that point I’m costing Matt CP and still equalling any of the killing Secondaries. I don’t feel great about it, but it seems the best of a bad lot.

Matt has a much easier time of it. He picks Bring it Down, because it can be maxed easily enough, then Purifying Ritual because it’s awesome, then Stranglehold because it’s a good scenario for it. I was feeling envious at this point.

Stranglehold/Bring it Down/Purifying Ritual v Stranglehold/To the Last/Warp Ritual

Deployment

I deploy much more defensively this game, wary of Matt’s firepower. The Harpies are hidden securely at the back, while the Maleceptors, ‘Thropes and Tyrant Guard all take advantage of cover. Only the Pyrovores are left exposed; if Matt wants to leap forward and fire at my 30-point blobs of wounds, that’s fine by me. Annoyingly, the only way for me to get the left Pyrovores onto an objective Turn 1 will be a high roll on an advance, which means Stranglehold could be a challenge if I go first. Hmmm.

 Some exposed Pyrovores, but the Harpies are safe. In this matchup that's worth more everything

Matt castles up heavily, not wanting to risk giving my HVCs angles early on. One Dreadknight and two Strike Squads are in reserve, waiting for a weak point they can drop down and pummel.

Big Dreadknights ready to poke out and blast me to pieces

Tyranid Turn 1, 30:10


First turn is an annoyance here, as I’d love to charge something Owen moved onto the objectives. I go back and forth on popping Warp Shielding and moving up, but decide I want to play a bit more defensively early on this game and make Matt commit. My central Pyrovores move up, getting Catalyst cast on them as they screen for the Neurothrope. Warp Ritual is cast on a ten, but Matt easily denies it after he burns CP on Hexagrammic Wards. I’m already regretting this Secondary choice.

No! Grey Knight denies are just too strong

Stranglehold is also a chore, as my leftmost Pyrovores fail to advance high enough to get onto the objective. Annoyed, I flit my Maw-Claws Tyrant across instead, where he claims Stranglehold before disappearing with Encircle the Prey. It’s a bit of a waste, but it gets the job done.

 

Hive Tyrant ready to disappear back into reserve

Grey Knights Turn 1, 17:25

I haven’t given Matt many good targets, so it’s likely to be a quiet turn for him. Committing all the Dreadknights to kill Pyrovores isn’t exactly a winning trade, after all. One squad of Interceptors advance onto the rightmost objective, getting mostly into cover and casting Purifying Ritual. Another squad darts forward to huddle behind a wall, ensuring that the Librarian can safely stick his nose out.

Lots of mortal wounds, but only enough to kill one Pyrovore

He expends 3CP and blasts the central Pyrovores, killing one, while one Dreadknight edges out a little to put 3 wounds onto the lone Pyrovore. These little flamer-beasts are already proving their durability!

I'm starting to love Pyrovores!

Finally, a Strike Squad is Gated off to the left objective, where they huddle behind the wall as much as possible and tick off Stranglehold for the turn, though their own cast of Purifying Ritual is denied.

Tyranid Turn 2, 17:44

Hopefully I can get some good points before the Dreadknights blast me to pieces

In my turn, I decide to commit a little more. I know Matt will be bringing in a few reserves next turn, and I want to make sure I have Warp Shielding up on the turn they came in. So I pick that Imperative and fling all my Pyrovores forward, alongside both Carnifexes, the Harpies, a Flyrant and one Maleceptor. 

Big movement all across the board

That Maleceptor advances all the way onto the objective guarded by the teleporting Strike Squad, where it blasts them for 3 mortals and generally stands there menacingly. A hail of mortals from the other Maleceptor goes irritatingly well, killing three Interceptors on the nearby objective and allowing them to get out of line of sight of some of my guns. The Pyrovore flamers then totally whiff, Armour of Contempt saving every hit. Thankfully they make up for it in combat though, dealing the requisite three wounds to wipe the squad.

AoC won't save you now!

Nearby, the two Harpies and one Carnifex can draw beads on the exposed Dreadknight, and promptly blast it to pieces in a hail of HVC fire. The Harpies also churn out some more Spore Mines to add to the 6 already littering the field.

Harpies casually obliterating a Dreadknight

Finally, the Reaper Flyrant has a disappointing turn. His attempt to Warp Ritual is comprehensively denied despite the Neurothrope’s buff, leaving me increasingly unlikely to max that Secondary. 

Always sad to have a 0 on a Secondary at the end of Turn 2

He’s at least looking forward to smashing the nearby Interceptors and Overrunning to safety, but the central Pyrovores promptly wipe the whole squad with their flamers! 

These 30-point models may be a little underpriced

That leaves my Flyrant feeling quite exposed, so he Encircles the Prey to skedaddle into reserve.  

At the end of my turn I’m scoring well and have good board position, but those Dreadknights are about to hit me hard.

Tyranids dominating the field

Grey Knights Turn 2, 25:44

A widening points gap

That’s more or less how the turn starts: the Grandmaster and the other Dreadknight move to their left to draw a bead on the Maleceptor, while the third drops down nearby to join in. 

Methinks I might be about to lose my Pyrovores

The Grandmaster uses Psychic Channelling to ensure Gate goes off, but promptly fails to cast it anyway! A reroll does succeed, letting him jump him within 12” of the Maleceptor, but a second low roll to cast Empyric Amplification sees it get denied. 

This basically sums up Matt's Psychic phase

The nearby Strikes fail their Purifying Ritual, another Dreadknight fails to cast Empyric Lodestone, and even the third Dreadknight’s Smite fails! The trend continues in the centre, where the Librarian has almost all his casts either fail or be denied, and on the right flank where a second squad of Interceptors fails to Purifying Ritual. I might not be scoring my Warpcraft Secondary, but apparently neither is Matt!

Second attempt from the Librarian is even worse than the first

With the failure of the Librarian to kill the central Pyrovores, a Dreadknight has to blast them to deny me those Primary points. But even that torrent of fire is insufficient, leaving one alive on a single wound! 

Look at that cheeky little grin!

This forces the Grandmaster to split fire, gunning down the Pyrovore at last before joining with the third Dreadknight to hammer the Maleceptor. I’d foolishly chosen not to do Encephalic Diffusion with this Maleceptor last turn, but thankfully Catalyst comes through to leave me at 8 wounds and still controlling the objective. That conveniently denies Stranglehold to Matt, making it a really big swing.

The Maleceptor lives!

The second squad of Interceptors charges my leftmost Pyrovores, getting into combat safely after I rolled snake-eyes on my Overwatch. In combat they succeed in killing one Pyrovore and wounding another, while flipping the objective and only taking one wound back.

Interceptors begin an epic duel with my surviving Pyrovores

Nonetheless, things were looking good for the Tyranids.

Tyranid Turn 3, 25:57

Points gap continuing to widen, and now I get to do some damage

Matt pivoting to the right as I pivot to the left

Matt has exposed his heavy hitters now, so it’s time to strike back. That starts with the Spore Mines from last turn bombing the engaged Interceptor squad, killing two Marines, while this turn’s Mines manage to kill a couple of Strike Marines in Matt’s central castle. 

Spore Mines are so good. Maybe I should bring some Biovores?

The leftmost Maleceptor moves up to get in on the fun, blasting several Grey Knights through the wall and even killing a Paladin, while the Maw-Claws Flyrant speeds forward to try assassinate the Librarian. The Zoanthropes float onto the central objective, the Carnifexes and Harpies manoeuvre for shots on the Dreadknights, and the wounded Maleceptor moves into position to charge the lone Strike Squad on her objective.

Time for the big push

Psychic sees the Flyrant denied on Warp Ritual once again, which makes me pretty sad. At least it’s cost Matt 3 CP on Hexagrammic Wards so far! The rest of my buffs go off, largely from the Neurothrope hiding outside of deny range and bouncing them through the chain. A shower of mortals from all the brain bugs wounds the Librarian, kills several Grey Knights from the central castle and whittles down the Strike Squad on my far-right flank.

Maleceptor ready to do some damage

Shooting sees another Dreadknight fall to a torrent of HVC fire, but I make the mistake of shooting at the Grandmaster with my final shots of the turn. 

Harpies pick up another Dreadknight

He promptly uses Sigil of Exigence to teleport across the board, ready to take out my Carnifex and flip the left objective next turn. Lovely.

Whoops. Can you tell I haven't played much against Grey Knights?

In combat, my last two Pyrovores continue their dramatic duel with the final two Interceptors on the left flank, each side taking several wounds but continuing to stick around. 

A true slugging match going on here

The Maleceptor and Strike Marines on the other flank also flail at each other, neither side accomplishing much of note. The Flyrant is more dramatic, killing the Librarian with Trampling Charge, before finishing off the last Strike Marine and wiping the whole Paladin squad in one go! 

Well over 250 points killed in one combat

Matt had failed to cast the +1 save psychic power last turn, and a string of low rolls saw all three remaining Paladins obliterated. 

Not the rolls you want to see when you're saving on fours

The Flyrant, now with 8 Bonesword attacks, uses Overrun to jump back to a more defensive position. Good stuff.

At the end of my turn, Matt is left with a Dreadnight and depleted Strike Squad on each flank, a Strike Squad in reserve and the Techmarine and one final Strike Squad on his back objective. This turn needs to go really well for him.

Very few Grey Knights left on the table

Grey Knights Turn 3, 37:57

If the Marines don't start catching up now they never will

To that end, Matt embarks on a series of high-risk/high-reward plays. He drops his final Strike Squad into my backfield, getting within 9” of my Warriors to try and flip my back objective. 

9" charges, let's goooooooo

The Grandmaster moves forward to smack the Carnifex and blast a Harpy, while the other Dreadknight aims to gun down the Hive Tyrant and decapitate the wounded Maleceptor. The final Strike Squad also charges forward, going for a long bomb into my Maw-Claws Flyrant to try and deny me TtL points.

Things don’t start well, as while Purifying Ritual does go off twice, several failed attempts by the Strikes mean his Dreadknights have to use their casts to get it done. Shooting is also pretty desultory without any psychic buffs. One Harpy suffers a few wounds from the Grandmaster, and the hail of fire from the other Dreadknight sees my Flyrant reduced to 6 wounds. 

Lots of guns do lots of damage, but not quite enough

The Strike Squads manage to badly wound a Warrior and kill a couple Spore Mines, then we’re onto the Charge phase.

This goes excellently for Matt, with a single CP reroll being enough to get all four of his charges off. First to swing are the Strike Squad attacking the Flyrant. They hit hard, but it survives on 2 wounds to take off half the squad on the retaliation. 

Another successful 9" charge! Doesn't end well though

I interrupt with the Warriors into the Strikes, wiping 3 of them and consolidating to block them off my objective. Their remaining attacks see me lose a Warrior, but at the end of the fight I’m left in control of the point. 

Potentially a very scary situation

Say one thing for Warriors, they're super good at killing Marines in combat.

The final Dreadknight and Strike Squad manage to down the Maleceptor between them, with the Justicar inflicting the final wound to bring down the hated beast.

The wounded Maleceptor finally goes down

That leaves just the two fights on my left objective. 

Dramatic duels on this objective

The last Interceptor strikes down a Pyrovore to be left in a one-on-one duel with the other, but the Grandmaster is unable to bring down the Carnifex after it passes a crucial 6+ save roll. It then swings back with its Scything Talons and promptly inflicts 9 wounds on the Grey Knight leader. Raaaaargh!

Carnifexes are back!

With that, Matt’s third turn comes to an end. He’s scored some more on Purifying Ritual and Bring it Down, but the failure to kill the Carnifex means that objective is still contested and he doesn’t get Stranglehold. Perhaps Engage would have been a better pick here.

 

Tyranids Turn 4, 37:70

Time to put the nail in the coffin

I start my turn by spending my one CP on regenerating the wounded Flyrant’s wounds. I need anything but a 1-2 to get it back up the critical bracket to fall back onto Matt’s home objective, so no one is surprised at what I rolled.

Ah well. Matt deserves a bit of luck at this point

Otherwise, my turn basically consists of everything heading towards the edges of the map. My Tyrant Guard stomp back to kill the Strikes on my backfield objective, the Maleceptor and Venomthropes move to clear Matt off the left objective, and the Harpies and Reaper Flyrant speed over to clear out the right objective. Spore Mines across the battlefield also do their thing, chipping down Strike Marines as some final insult to injury.

In the end, the sheer damage output of the Tyranids is too much. Massed mortal wounds kill the Grandmaster, which frees up the Carnifex to gun down the last Interceptor on that objective. 

Grandmaster blasted to pieces

3 HVC shots was maybe overkill here

The Strikes engaging the Flyrant are also blown away by a Zoanthrope Smite, and the Dreadknight and Strike Squad on the right objective are hammered by HVC fire then cut to pieces by the Reaper Flyrant.

Reaper Flyrant trying to outperform the Maw-Claws one

The Tyrant Guard tear apart the last Strike Marines, and at the end of it all Matt is left with just his lone Techmarine.

Chop chop, Tyrant Guard go chop

We quickly play out the last battle round for final scores, with the Techmarine scoring one more point on Purifying Ritual before being wiped out by Spore Mines in my Movement phase. 

One final point for Matt

The end of the road

Warp Ritual finally goes off a second time, and it’s a brutal 92:42 win to the Tyranids!

 

Ouch

Post-Game Analysis

For all the people freaking out about Armour of Contempt making Marines unkillable: don’t worry, the Swarm consumes all. Tyranids are still much, much scarier than things like Grey Knights.

This game felt close at points, but ultimately it didn’t feel like our armies were on the same level. AoC definitely made a big difference, but by and large when I tried to kill something it died. At the end of the game, Matt had killed one monster and 5 Pyrovores. That wasn’t for want of trying either, he flung a lot of damage at my army. Tyranids are just so, so tough.

I guess there are a lot of dead Spore Mines? Pity those were free

In saying that, Matt did have some pretty rough strings of luck. His Psychic phase in Turn 2 was truly catastrophic, and meant that it was basically impossible for him to bring down my Maleceptor that turn. On the other hand, I’d already planned to lose the Maleceptor that turn: my theory was that by making him commit heavily to my right flank I could keep him far away from my Harpies, which would allow me to keep picking off his Dreadknights from long range. It might have been better for Matt to go hard on my left flank to try and take out a Harpy, rather than take the bait of the exposed Maleceptor. On the other hand, I’d screened the Harpies relatively well, so maybe he would have just bounced there and have ceded the other objective for nothing.

After all, it didn't go that well for Matt when he did commit to my left flank

As I knew they’d be, the Harpies were definitely the MVPs. Spore Mines are so sneakily scary, and being able to casually flap around and pick up a Dreadknight with 12 HVC shots is worth its weight in gold. I know they probably only fit into monster-mash lists like mine, but they’re just so good there it’s hard not to see them as oppressive.

I was also shockingly impressed by the Pyrovores. Their speed was an issue, but those 150 points of junk managed to kill almost double their points worth, all while soaking up a crazy amount of firepower, mortal wounds and combat from the Grey Knights army. I’m really wondering whether pivoting to a 3x3 block of them is the way to go, perhaps in Kraken for the extra mobility.  They’re just so obnoxious!

My face whenever Matt failed to kill a 30-point piece of chaff

From Matt’s point of view, we agreed that the big mistake was probably how he used his infantry. They by and large hung out behind LoS blockers and didn’t do much, which made sense for how they’ve traditionally been played. But realistically, there was nothing in my army that I wanted to shoot at a Strike Marine (aside from the Pyrovores, which had plenty of targets already) so Matt could probably have been a lot more aggressive with their placement. The Paladins in particular should be able to laugh off anything except mortal wounds or a Flyrant charge, and would have made a big difference if they’d marched across to the Pyrovore objective and battled for it.

'Anything except a Flyrant charge, you say...'

As far as my own mistakes, I again played my Tyrant Guard too defensively. Had they been placed further forward, they’d have been a little more vulnerable but my Flyrants would have been much more effective and/or safer. And if Matt had really committed hard on my Tyrant Guard, then maybe I would have lost five points but he would probably have lost most of his army. Tyrant Guard are a brick, and I keep playing them like they’re made of tinfoil. I also maybe shouldn’t have picked Warp Ritual: it did its job and got me 7 points while costing Matt 3 CP, but that score could easily have been a 3 if I hadn’t tabled the Grey Knights on the final turn. On the other hand, I’m not sure I really had any better options. I don’t have enough units for most of the action Secondaries, and Bring it Down was really gambling on a tabling as well. I don’t think Secondaries are really a weakness of the army (having three solid options against most opponents is normally all you need), but I definitely felt the lack of action-monkeys this game.

How would this battle have been different before the Balance Dataslate? Honestly, not much. There were quite a few times that some extra Marines survived when before they would have been wiped, but it certainly didn’t feel like the army was some fundamentally different beast now. If your army killed Marines before then I feel like it will probably still kill Marines, just… slower. That’s maybe not as true if you were relying on massed AP-1 to do the job, but my Pyrovores still incinerated quite a lot of Grey Knights with their AP-2 flamers.

Turns out Pyrovores are good at killing stuff too!

I hope you enjoyed this post-Dataslate battle report! The ‘Nids really seem on top of the meta at the moment, and it will be interesting to test that out against a few more recently-buffed armies over the coming few weeks. Spoiler alert: it doesn't all go the Tyranid's way!

What do you think of the Balance Dataslate? Are Marines stronger than I’m crediting them with being? And are Pyrovores really as strong as they feel? Let me know in the comments.

Until next time, may your monsters always survive on one wound!

Comments