NEW Chaos Knights v Asuryani

New Codex hype!

That’s right ladies and gentleman, it’s once again time for the first game with a leaked Codex. Matt is super excited to try out the new rules, and I figure I ought to give these Hail of Doom Asuryani a try against something a little heftier than the Tyranids and Deathwing they’ve been blasting. Can the Aeldari defeat the new Chaos threat?

As a sidenote, please be kind if there are any rules errors in this. We were playing with the leaked Imgur pictures of the Knights Codex, and I was still coughing up my lungs all game. If we played everything 100% correctly, I would consider it a miracle worthy of Celestine herself.

 

Asuryani Custom Craftworld (Hail of Doom/Masterful Shots)

This army is probably game-breaking, but man am I loving it

Patrol

Farseer with Guide, Convergence of Fate (Seer Council)                  90

Farseer Skyrunner with Sunstorm, Fortune, Will of Asuryan           120

2 Warlocks with Quicken/Restrain, Seer Council                                40

10 Guardian Defenders                                               90

2 x 1 Vyper with scatter lasers                    80

2 x 9 Dire Avengers, Exarchs with extra catapult               216

 

Outrider Detachment

Farseer Skyrunner with Doom, Executioner, Kurnous’ Bow and Mark of the Incomparable Hunter   125

Baharroth                           140

2 Warlocks with Jinx                                     40

2 x 3 Windriders with shuriken catapults                                             120

9 Windriders with shuriken cannons                                      270

3 Shining Spears, Exarch with paragon sabre, Heartstrike, mirrorshield and shuriken cannon    120

10 Swooping Hawks, Exarch with The Phoenix Plume                      180

6 Swooping Hawks                         108

6 Dire Avengers, Exarch with extra catapult                         72

5 Howling Banshees, Exarch with Piercing Strikes, mirrorswords and Cronescream             105

 Webway Gate                    80

I’ve played this for the last couple of games, and it’s pretty brutal. Yes, it’s basically Nick Nanavati’s Dallas list. Yes, I closed my last article by pondering whether this list was game-breaking. No, I am not ashamed. No, I will not be taking further questions.

At any rate, this army is packed full of firepower, has insane mobility, has psychic powers for days and can keep throwing chaff at you until you give up on trying to kill its important stuff. In the hands of a pro, this is perhaps the most powerful list in the game. In the hands of me, it’s honestly still stupid good.

 

House Vextrix

First game with the new stompy bois! The Helverins are standing in for Brigands here

Super-Heavy Detachment

3 Brigands, one with Pyrothrone, Winds of the Warp and Harbinger of Scrap Code             490

3 Brigands, one with The Blasphemous Engine and another with                   480

3 Huntsmen, one with melta, another with Helm of Dogs                             440

2 Huntsmen, one with melta                      295

2 Huntsmen, one with melta                      295

 

This list looks terrifying. It’s got 13 super-ObSec hulls, 26 super-melta shots (plus 3 normal meltas), 72 chaincannon shots and another from the stubbers for good measure. And everything is rerolling a die to hit AND wound, making all that melta hyper-efficient. It doesn’t have that many tricks, but anything it can see is probably going to die.

One ‘benefit of hindsight’ note already: most of the Huntsmen could have been run as Stalkers with the same weapons and the Pterroshades keyword for the same price, gaining access to a couple of strats at no downside. That’s an obvious change for next time, but thankfully one that didn’t really affect the game.

 

Deployment and Secondaries

The Black Library is burning!

We’re playing Tide of Conviction, on the same board as this game. Why on the same board, you ask? Because it’s incredibly cool.

Fire!

Anyway. Tide of Conviction probably favours Matt, as he’s more equipped to take my objectives than I am to touch his, but the lategame scoring does give me a way to close any scoreline gaps that may arise. The terrain will also make it hard for him to score Stranglehold, which is nice.

Stranglehold/Grind/Storm of Darkness v Bring it Down/TtL/RND

Speaking of which, Matt took the Knight stalwarts of Stranglehold and Grind, figuring he could outkill my MSU Aeldari pretty easily. He also decided to test out the exciting new Shadow Operations option of Storm of Darkness, letting his War Dogs perform an action on each objective running from his Morale phase to the Psychic phase on his next turn. It also ‘curses’ the objectives, giving me a Leadership debuff when nearby. Neat.

There are a few 'at the end of the Morale phase' effects in this book, and they're all extra flexible

As it turns out, the action can RAW actually be started in either player’s Morale phase, making it extremely powerful and almost impossible to stop. We didn’t catch this before the game, but it’s pretty clear as written right now. Until that gets FAQed, that makes this Secondary pretty nuts, as you can start it on a safe objective in your turn, then also start it on a midfield one at the end of your opponent’s turn if one of your Knights survives there. Then they’ll both finish in your next Psychic phase. Wow. Perhaps luckily for me, we didn’t catch this until after the game.

On a less exciting note, I took Bring it Down (Matt’s list gives up an amusing 26 points for this), Retrieve Nachmund Data and To the Last. RND is a risk, although I didn’t realise till later quite how risky it is here. It had seemed like a safer bet than Engage, as I might need to turtle up quite a lot, but if I’d fully read the Chaos Knights Codex I’d have realised this wasn’t a great call. To the Last was also somewhat risky, but I was making a conscious effort to ensure my three TtL targets would survive the game. No exposing my Windriders Turn 1 this time around, I promise. Call it manifesting.

Deployment was pretty simple for both of us. Matt basically filled his deployment zone with big stompy boys, with a couple inevitably being exposed through sheer base size. 

That's a lot of Armigers

Amusingly, the nature of Matt’s army meant that by the time he’d finished deploying his 5  drops, I was yet to place a single unit of any importance. Sometimes it’s nice to have lots of chaff. 

My deployment at the point that Matt had finished deploying

At any rate, my deployment was extremely safe, with everything well and truly hidden. No Turn 1 shots for you Matt!


Careful lining of walls and measuring of angles going on here

Asuryani Turn 1, 29:10

With Turn 1, I was determined not to do anything too rash. No, the shuriken cannon Windriders are not being exposed. Instead, I basically do two things.

First, one small squad of Windriders is Quickened forward, where it joins with a Vyper to moveblock Matt totally into his deployment zone. 

No movement for you!

Careful measurement sees them placed so that none of Matt’s central Knights will be able to go anywhere, including onto my objectives. 

Using an Armiger base to check whether it can fit past the Windriders

It’s shockingly astute of me, a trend that continues with the rest of my movement.

Out of cover come all the Hawks, Baharroth, and the big Windrider squad. Yes, I know I said I wasn’t going to do that, but it’s fine. Through the wonders of pre-measuring, I’m able to place everything such that it can fire, then use either Skyleap or Matchless Agility to return to safety behind my LoS blockers.

Time to do some damage!

 In fact, we work out that it’s possible for everything to be >1” away from the walls, such that I can’t even be charged from the other side. It’s unusually good play from me, and it means that these four units can shoot, then disappear to be entirely safe from shooting and combat. I think I’m starting to see why Asuryani are considered a high skill-ceiling army.

The net result of all that faffing about is that my Swooping Hawks whittle down the Pyrothrone War Dog to 6 wounds, before my big Windrider squad (buffed by Bladestorm and Guide) open up and destroy both it and the Huntsman in front of it. I can see how this squad won Dallas for Nanavati!


Knights go boom!


 Battlefield at the end of my turn. All the rest of the Aeldari are very hidden

Chaos Knights Turn 1, 29:10

Matt is pretty thrown off by this unexpected show of mental acuity from me. After lots of looking around for angles I’ve missed, he ends up deciding that there’s no way he can get Grind or Stranglehold this turn. He could push forward out of cover, but he’d still be largely stuck in his deployment zone for me to pick off at range. So in the end he settles for carefully measuring out angles to make sure my Windrider deathball won’t be able to kill anything without exposing itself, before blasting my Vyper and Windriders to death with incredible overkill. It was scary. I let him roll it, just for fun, and those chaff just died. Matt also starts Storm of Darkness on his forward objective from behind cover.

The red line of death that says where the Windriders can shoot

In hindsight, the play for Matt here was probably to use the ‘send two War Dogs into Strategic Reserve’ strat. It would have made his next turn much more effective for him, and much scarier for me. Alas, first games are like that.

Asuryani Turn 2, 43:10

Solid points lead for the Asuryani so far

Matt starts his turn by picking Encroaching Doom on the Harbingers of Dread table, ensuring all his units get a larger Dread aura. He hopes to combo off this to make all my Morale checks fraught, as well as doing more nifty things in future turns.

Annoyingly, Matt has been pretty thorough about denying my Windriders any good angles this turn. Apparently I’m not the only one who can abuse LoS blockers! So the Windriders get to just hang out, waiting for a better opportunity next turn. Thankfully, I do still have some shenanigans I can get up to. The big unit of Hawks zips forward to Grenade Pack one of the Huntsmen for 4 mortal wounds, before peppering another to inflict 6 more damage thanks to Guide and Doom. 

One Hawk gently grazes the Huntsman so I can dump mortal wounds on it

The other Hawks do a couple more damage, before the Bow of Kurnous Farseer uses two Fate Dice to blast it to pieces. Turns out this guy is legit! He then uses Matchless Agility to dart back into cover, while the Hawks Skyleap back to safety. 

Bang!

Baharroth does the same thing, after taking the opportunity to punch a nearby Huntsmen for a few damage more.

Another War Dog down

Finally, we realise that Quicken also comes with a second power, Restrain. And apparently, Restrain automatically cancels any action being done by its target. So I Restrain Matt’s backfield Brigand to cancel Storm of Darkness, and ensure he starts his turn with a zero on all Secondaries. Good stuff.

I genuinely didn't even know Restrain did that. This spell is awesome!

I’ve also managed to position my units (and cast Will of Asuryan) such that Matt would need 2-3 War Dogs on each of my central objectives to flip them, which won’t be possible this turn. So it’s going to be another turn of no Stranglehold for the Knights.

All of my models are carefully positioned just over 1" from the walls so Matt can't charge me

Chaos Knights Turn 2, 43:18

Big oof at that scoreline

Matt is in an unenviable position this turn. He needs to commit hard, or I’ll keep picking at him from a distance while denying him Grind and Stranglehold. On the other hand, by committing he gives me the chance to hit him hard before he can hit me. There’s no real choice though, so almost every Knight goes surging forward, ready to rend and tear next turn. Matt does make sure to keep his flanks screened though, so I can’t bring in my Strategic Reserves anywhere on his side. Boo.


Knights stomp forward, hoping to overwhelm me

The only other bit of excitement is that Matt attempts to use Ravenous Pterrorshades on my small Swooping Hawks squad to prevent them reliably Retrieving Nachmund on future turns. He inflicts a mortal wound, which I take on my Exarch. Matt is really feeling flush with CPs right now, so it seemed worth a shot.

Things just aren't going Matt's way this game!

Asuryani Turn 3, 62:18

Solid score lead so far, but it could all go south if Matt can get into those TtL targets

The field is now flush with targets, and I have my reserves to bring in. Excellent. Matt does pick Pall of Darkness to give him -1 to be hit from >12” away, but thankfully I’m going to be getting up close and personal this turn anyway.

That starts on the right flank, where I bring in 10 Guardians and 10 Dire Avengers to blow away one War Dog, while the big Windrider squad positions to destroy another before using Matchless Agility to jump back to safety. 

Over 100 shuriken shots going into these two War Dogs

That goes unsurprisingly well, and Matt is down two War Dogs.

Windriders obliterate a Brigand

In the centre, my Hawks do their Grenade shenanigans and blast down another damaged Huntsman.

Grenade Pack is such a strong stratagem on a large Hawk unit

The one standing in the Webway Gate is shot up by my Shining Spears, then torn apart by a shuriken volley from the small Dire Avengers squad. 

Photos taken moments before disaster

Matt uses Spiteful Demise to automatically explode, damaging another War Dog but killing a number of nearby Aspect Warriors. 

That's a lot of casualties from a 1CP strat

The rest of my shooting nearby whittles down the two remaining exposed Dogs so badly that I end up choosing not to fire with my vehicles to make sure the Shining Spears can make their charge. 

Those two War Dogs pictured are both on 2 wounds, and I've deliberately stopped shooting

Charge they do, killing another Huntsman, who uses Spiteful Demise again to kill a Spear, wound Baharroth twice and kill the nearby Brigand into the bargain! It’s a pretty cataclysmic turn of events, and for a second we both think that it’s left Baharroth stranded and ready to die. 

Wow, those explosions are brutal

Thankfully, it turns out you can still consolidate even if the stuff you’re in combat with dies, so he gets to flit back to safety.

Finally, the Howling Banshees and central Avengers charge through Matt’s LoS blocker, using Will of Asuryan to flip the objective and tie up two Brigands. They also do enough damage to reduce one to a single wound, which is nice.

At the end of the turn, I’ve killed a whopping 6 War Dogs and basically crippled Matt’s army. There are two left in the centre, tied up by my Banshees, and another two on the far right flank with a relatively limited set of targets. They’ll definitely be able to shoot at stuff, but the really juicy targets like my Windrider bomb are nice and safe on the right flank.

Also, I would have scored 12 points on Bring it Down this turn, if I hadn’t hit the cap at 9. Hail of Doom is crazy stuff.

 

Chaos Knights Turn 3, 62:25

Hey, at least that first Storm of Darkness went off?

To add insult to injury, Matt gets a 4 on Primary. At least his Storm of Darkness on the back objective gets to go off this turn, so he’ll gets 3 points on that Secondary.

We contemplate calling the game here, but decide to play it out just to see what the remaining War Dogs can do. As it turns out, it’s a surprising amount. The two that are tied up by the Banshees and Avengers blast away in combat, wiping out their opponents. 

There used to be three Aeldari squads here, but then the Knights started shooting. These War Dogs hit hard!

The Shining Spears are absolutely obliterated by the meltas of the last Huntsman, and the final Brigand on the right flank is able to peek around the corner at a veritable cornucopia of targets. It effortlessly evaporates a War Walker with its daemonbreath spear, before gunning down 4 Swooping Hawks with its chaincannon.

The final Brigand does some surprising damage

It's honestly a pretty impressive display, making me glad I’ve hid from it like a coward all game. It still distinctly won’t be enough, but that’s to be expected when you lose ~ 1000 points on the previous turn.

I've lost a few models, but still distinctly have an army left

Asuryani Turn 4, 78:25

My turn is pretty simple. I begin to advance on the right flank, using the massed Guardians, Dire Avengers and Windriders to gun down the remaining two War Dogs in the centre. The small squad of Swooping Hawks also Retrieves Nachmund, despite needing to roll under a 4 to do so. That just felt mean, to be honest.

Very much an insult added to injury

The one thing that does go Matt’s way on this flank is that he uses Spiteful Demise to explode the first War Dog, allowing him to bring Baharroth down to one wound and kill the other Brigand before Baharroth gets a chance to shoot. This time Baharroth is properly stranded, ready to die next turn. Damn.

Finally, the Bow of Kurnous Farseer leads the Swooping Hawks and Dire Avengers in making use of Guide and Doom to obliterate the last Brigand. That leaves Matt with one Huntsman left, ready for a final tilt.

Final Knight ready to kill Baharroth

Chaos Knights Turn 4, 78:25

All Matt can do is fling the Huntsman forward, using Daemonic Surge to get the movement to draw a bead on Baharroth. He blasts him with all the meltas, hitting and wounding 3 times, but I have a trio of Fate Dice saved just for the occasion. 

Melta is good, but Fate Dice are better

The Huntsman makes the charge though, and uses Reap and Rend to smash me with 12 attacks. He does the final wound, killing the Phoenix Lord, only for me to use Phoenix Reborn and roll a 4. Baharroth stands back up, and it’s the final capstone on a brutal game.

The Phoenix Lord really just didn't feel like dying, sorry

Asuryani Turn 5, 97:25

I score RND and hold all the objectives, and the Huntsman dies. And this time, I remember to stand more than 6” away when it does.

No explosions for you this time Matt

The Asuryani win a comprehensive 97:25!

At some point we accidentally awarded a Stranglehold to the Knights. They shouldn't have received it. This scoreline should have been even worse

Post-Game Analysis

Well, that was pretty brutal. That’s probably the most one-sided game I’ve had since I played Light Voidweavers!

This is what getting 26 points on Bring it Down looks like

The first two turns really demonstrated two things: the continuing weakness of Knights to being move-blocked, and the unparalleled capacity of Asuryani lists to do damage while committing nothing. I was definitely helped in this by the terrain, as the big ruins were perfect for the jump-shoot-jump plan I was aiming for. I can definitely imagine it being applicable on lots of other maps too though, now that I’m getting a bit better at using it.

This honestly felt dirty. Around 700 points of shooting that can neither be shot back, nor charged

The terrain also did no favours to Matt. Being able to totally pin him in Turn 1 by committing 100 points of chaff was a massive swing, and it really made me feel grateful to have Quicken along. Move-blocking has always been a problem with Knights, and the new Codex hasn’t really changed that. Probably the only thing Matt could have done to avoid it (aside from using Hunting Hounds to jump into Strategic Reserve, as discussed earlier) would have been to play Ravenous Pterrorshades in my Morale phase. If he’d rolled well he could have killed one Windrider, which would have been enough to let some Knights move up and claim the middle. Combine that with Hunting Hounds and I would have been under pressure Turn 2, instead of being able to comfortably chip away for another turn.

A single dead Windrider here could have been a big deal

On the flipside, maybe I would have just killed those Knights even faster. Because the other takeaway from this game is that Hail of Doom is properly, totally busted. I killed 6 War Dogs in a turn, and had to actively stop shooting because I ran out of viable targets. That’s bizarre, and probably shouldn’t exist in the game.

Compare this picture...

To this one. And the two War Dogs pictured get killed in combat as well!

Speaking of damage output, the positive aspect of the whole battle report is that the new Chaos Knights really did kill everything they could see. I basically exposed 6 units all game, and all six of them died. Well, Baharroth stood back up, but he definitely died. The reliability of the House Vextrix meltas was terrifying, and I could imagine it ripping through something like a Tyranids list. I think a build like this one has real legs, and could be a proper terror in the metagame. Just, not against Asuryani. They’re on another level entirely.

They did kill everything they shot, that just wasn't very much

I hope you enjoyed this first report with the new Chaos Knights! They didn’t get much of a chance to show off this game, but don’t worry, because next week I’ll be taking a similar list up against the horrors of Hive Fleet Behemoth. Mild spoiler: it's a lot closer than this game. Let me know below what you thought of the report, and how you think Chaos Knights will fare in the broader meta.

Until next time, may your Phoenix Lords always stand up after being killed!

Comments

  1. As someone that picked up chaos knights to get back into the game, this was sobering reading

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On the plus side, at least their next report went well! I think Hail of Doom Eldar is just an especially bad matchup for Knights, to be honest

      Delete

Post a Comment