Asuryani v Tyranids Rematch

 

 Can the Asuryani make it 2 from 2, or will the Swarm strike back?

After last week’s razor-thin Asuryani victory, Owen is out for a rematch. Apparently Space Elves v Space Bugs is our thing at the moment. Both of us have substantially altered our lists since last week, trying out new tools alongside old classics to try and innovate for the metagame. Will the raw firepower of the Swordwind be enough to defeat the mighty Hive Fleet Behemoth?

 

Hive Fleet Behemoth

I've played enough with Tyranids to know that this list is looking to take my lunch money

Patrol

Winged Hive Tyrant with Maw-Claws, lashwhip and bonesword   190

Neurothrope with Synaptic Tendrils                                       100

3 Tyrant Guard                                 120

3 Warriors with deathspitters and dual boneswords                         75

3 Zoanthropes                   150

Maleceptor                                       170

3 Pyrovores                                                     90

 

Patrol

Winged Hive Tyrant with Reaper of Obliterax and lashwhip                          190

10 Hormagaunts                                                            80

3 Venomthropes                              105

2 Harpies with heavy venom cannons                     340

3 Carnifexes with heavy venom cannon, scything talons and enhanced senses                      360

1 Pyrovore                                                       30

Total: 2000

This list is super mean. It has all the hits, with a solid TtL plan, lots of big stompy monsters to become ObSec thanks to the Lurk Biomorphology, plenty of mortal wounds and firepower and some scary close combat too. The only substantial changes from previous iterations are that one Maleceptor has been stripped out to make room for more Carnifexes, there are 4 Pyrovores running around to melt stuff and be irritating to kill, and there’s a squad of Hormagaunts! I’ve heard good things about these little boys, and Owen is convinced they’ll be great against my fragile Elves. Or maybe they’ll just hold an objective and screen all game. That’d probably be fine too. 

Craftworld Ulthwé

What about if big guns, but for the whole army?

Spearhead

Baharroth                           140

Farseer with Guide, Convergence of Fate, Faolchu’s Wing              90

Warlock Skyrunner with Jinx, Sunstorm                                                60

10 Swooping Hawks with The Phoenix Plume, Winged Evasion                                   195

6 Swooping Hawks                                                       108

6 Fire Dragons with Dragon’s Fury                            138

6 Dire Avengers with double catapults                   72          

2 x Falcons with bright lances                                    320

3 x Fire Prisms, one with crystal targeting matrix                490

2 War Walkers with bright lances                             170

Crimson Hunter Exarch with double bright lance, Swooping Evasion                         215                                                                                  

Total: 1998

My list, on the other hand, is totally different to what most Asuryani players have been running. One Spearhead detachment, no Troops at all, no close combat units and only three characters! It was inspired heavily by a list featured in one of u/Stormcoil’s battle reports, although I made a few tweaks to shore up what I saw as its weaknesses. In essence, the list is based around the idea that high quality shots are critical against both Tyranids and Marines, and that’s a lot of the metagame right now. Harlequins will hate the threat of Linked Fire into their boats, other Asuryani will hate all the hulls, and everyone will hate the massive amount of high accuracy, high damage shooting. I’ve tested the list out once so far, against a Death Guard list that was taking full advantage of the new Dataslate. Those Terminators stuck around a lot longer than they used to, but it was still a pretty comfortable tabling. Let’s see if I can do the same to a much more dangerous opponent!

 

Mission and Secondaries

My Farseer can foresee a low Primary score in my future

Today we’re playing Data Scry-Salvage, which isn’t the worst mission for me but is far from the best. The Tertiary requires you to leave a unit at home to do actions, which is shockingly hard for my list, and it also rewards brawling over mid-field objectives. I don’t want to go into the mid-field, there are Tyranids there! They’re scary! Still, at least the spread-out objectives mean I can probably hammer one flank then sweep across the map.

For Secondaries, I straightaway decided that To the Last was out. There are Harpies around, and that means I do not want to be relying on one of my expensive vehicles to survive. More appealing was Engage, as it’s pretty easy to score on this deployment, and RND for the same reason. Finally, I can’t max Bring it Down, but it rewards me for just doing what I was going to do anyway. If I’m not scoring 8-12 points on this then I’ve probably lost anyway.

Owen had a few tricky choices to make for his Secondaries. Warp Ritual is pretty great on this map, as the Neurothrope can cast it without exposing himself too much. But Stranglehold will be much harder to max than normal with the six objectives, especially if I’m able to clear one flank of Tyranids. Still, it’ll reward him for dominating the board, which he has to do to win anyway, so it’s probably the best choice. Finally, To the Last is in because killing all three Carnifexes and the two Tyrants will likely only happen in a tabling, and Owen fancies his chances at keeping things tighter than that.

 

Deployment

Deployment is pretty scary for both of us. The issue is that each of us have some expensive shooting pieces, with the mobility to threaten the others’ pretty easily. How does Owen deploy to stop my Crimson Hunter, Falcons and Linked-Fire Fire Prisms picking up his Harpies? How do I deploy to protect my Fire Prisms and flyer from the Harpies? It’s a nightmare.

Aeldari deployment pre-Phantasm

In the end, I decide to deploy as if I was going first and Phantasm backwards if I go second. So the Prisms go out to the flanks to draw angles, and the Hunter is concealed but ready to strike. Owen, on the other hand, decides to assume that all my big shots Turn 1 will be going into the Harpies. So the rest of the monsters deploy basically out in the open, ready to push forward and start applying pressure. Only the Zoanthropes, Warriors, Hormagaunts and Tyrant Guard are especially hidden, with the latter allowing the Flyrants to stand out in the open safely.

The Harpies are as hidden as possible, but I think I can still draw a bead if I go first

Unusually, both of us would love to go first this game. Getting to take out those Harpies before they can hit me would be a godsend, and vice versa for Owen. Time to hope I read those Runes correctly! 

Tyranid Turn 1, 32:10

Damn. I Phantasm, shifting the Crimson Hunter back into reserve and retreating my Fire Prisms. They’re still going to take hits from the Harpies, but at least most of the Carnifexes won’t be getting in on the action.

The Crimson Hunter disappears into Strategic Reserve

Owen’s horde absolutely surges up the field, looking like a proper Behemoth charge. Both Harpies go diving in to target my Prisms, while the footsloggers stomp forward to dominate three of the central objectives. Some models are kept in cover, and the Tyrants are obviously safely near their Guards, but by and large the theory seems to be overwhelming my guns. Knowing that the Zoanthrope Imperative is up to make them all extra tanky, I’m feeling pretty overwhelmed!

There's too many of them!

Owen is also able to employ the foul sorcery of pre-measuring to screen his whole backfield and the entire left-hand side of the board. Given that I have two Falcons about to arrive and melt stuff, that’s probably a good call.

Nowhere to drop on the whole left side of the table. Boo!

Psychic goes excellently for Owen, with every important spell (including Warp Ritual) going off without a hitch. Shooting, however, is a disaster. The Harpies and one Carnifex open up, but cunning use of Lightning Fast Reactions, Fate Dice, and some appalling luck from Owen sees my Fire Prisms almost totally untouched! This is a huge swing, and puts me in a great position. 

I really expected to lose at least one tank here

Undeterred, Owen Encircles one Harpy back into Strategic Reserve and prepares to weather my shooting.

Asuryani Turn 1, 32:19

I start my turn by fretting anxiously over which unit will complete the mission action on my home objective. This force really doesn’t have units to just waste like that, with even my Swooping Hawks needing to start chipping away this turn. Thankfully, I suddenly realise that my Fire Prisms are planning to Link Fire. That means that there’s at least one of them who’s not planning on shooting anyway, and is thus perfectly happy to waste a turn scrying data. Salvaging data. Scry-salvaging data.

So I line up my crystal targeting matrix Fire Prism on the Harpy, inch out the War Walkers to draw beads on both it and the Maleceptor, and then drop both my Falcons in the far corner to target the Maleceptor too. The Fire Dragons and Dire Avengers also disembark, ready to cause some havoc. Finally, the Hawks all zip forward to start chipping away at Owen’s lighter targets.

The Aeldari pivot away from the Tyranids as they line up their big guns

Psychic sees Guide go on the big Hawks squad (as it does every turn) and Jinx on one Carnifex, as well as regenerating me a precious CP. I promptly burn that CP on Linked-Fire, opening up on the Harpy with 6 S14 shots. I hit four times, but Owen’s choice to pop Transhuman sees only a single wound go through, even after my reroll! Catalyst sees him only take 4 damage, and I’m beginning to weep openly. Thankfully, the War Walkers then open up, scoring 4 hits and 4 wounds. Owen fails all his 4++ saves, and I manage to overkill him by 2 wounds. Huh. That was weird.

War Walkers do what the Fire Prisms cannot

Things continue in that vein elsewhere, with one Falcon just tickling the Maleceptor before the Fire Dragons totally obliterate it. 

S9 was a really big deal here

The other Falcon chips a few wounds onto a Carnifex, before my Swooping Hawks absolutely gun it down. The rolls are weird, but at the end of it I’ve taken out three of Owen’s monsters!

Down goes the Carnifex!

I also RND with the Dire Avengers, before proceeding to make two fairly dumb mistakes. I opt to leave the small squad of Hawks chilling in my right corner to score me Engage, not even bothering to measure how far away they are from the Hive Tyrants. Too close is the answer! I also choose to charge the Venomthropes with Baharroth, hoping to clear that objective and leave Owen without a right flank. I’ve played at least a dozen games with Venomthropes since the new Codex dropped, so why am I surprised when they do a mortal wound, force me to fight last and then strip two more off me? Thankfully Baharroth burns my last Fate Dice and rolls hot, wiping the unit, but it’s a massive blow to have him now be killable in a single phase. I didn’t even manage to deny Owen any Primary, as I can’t safely stay on the objective anymore! Sometimes, it just feels bad.

I am a fool

Still, this turn I really did some massive damage. If I can survive the next wave, then I should be able to start pushing Owen back.

 

 

Tyranid Turn 2, 54:19

Big oof at this scoreline

On the downside, Owen does score a 12 on Primary. That’s not great. He decides that none of the Imperatives are really worth it this turn, while I cheerfully get another two sixes on my Fate Dice. That’s pretty important, because there’s another Harpy coming in hot. It drops down next to a Carnifex on Owen’s left flank, both drawing a bead onto my CTM Fire Prism. The other Carnifex advances to get closer to my castle, while the Pyrovores reroll a low advance roll to charge onto the centre-right objective. 

Still a lot of big Tyranids left

The Pyrovores unleash a torrent of flame at my Fire Dragons, but the combination of T4 and a 3+ is shockingly useful and only three die. 

Turns out Fire Dragons are tougher than Rangers!

Finally, the two Hive Tyrants both surge forward to crump some Eldar.

That plan goes badly awry in the Psychic phase, as my Farseer manages to deny the Onslaught cast on the Maw-Claws Flyrant with a double six! That leaves it stranded in the middle of nowhere, unable to charge. Awesome. The rest of the spells all go off, including Warp Ritual, but stopping a Fyrant from killing me for a turn is massive.

Farseer casually asserting Aeldari psychic dominance

The wins continue in the Shooting phase, as a hail of HVC shots from the Carnifex and Harpy are met with Lightning Fast Reflexes and 2 automatically passed saves. After the dust settles only a single hit has made it through to leave my tank on 8 wounds. 

Not today, says the Fire Prism

These Harpies are clearly mad at Owen for callously sacrificing them last game and are working to protect their true master, me. As I shoot at them with bright lances. Yes.

Finally, in combat the Reaper Flyrant smashes into my small Swooping Hawks unit. Remembering his mistake from last game, Owen opts to use Trampling Charge to whittle down the unit and make sure he can finish it in one combat. Things look dicey as I save two of the mortal wounds and three of the wounding hits, but then I fail all my saves against the five additional mortal wounds from the Reaper and am easily wiped out. That thing’s pretty strong. 

I threw away this whole squad for a 2 on Engage. Lovely

The victorious Flyrant then Overruns back to the safety of the Tyrant Guard, while its stranded brood brother uses Encircle to flit back into reserve. It’s a good strat guys, you heard it here first.

Owen scored a lot of points this round, but my big guns are all still operative and my flier is about to come in. Time to kill some bugs.

Battlefield at the end of Tyranid Turn 2

Asuryani Turn 2, 54:28

That process starts on my left flank, where the Fire Dragons, Dire Avengers and both Falcons begin their sweep across the board. 

Time to kill some Pyrovores

On the other flank, I line up one Fire Prism, the War Walkers and the Crimson Hunter to take shots at the Harpy and Carnifex, while in the centre my big Swooping Hawks unit and Baharroth come out to play.

Lots of big guns aimed at the big bugs

Shooting starts against the Pyrovores, with the Fire Dragons teaching them the real meaning of fire by immolating one. A second is whittled down by shuriken fire from various places, but the third proves irritatingly hard to kill. It survives all the rest of my shuriken, a couple of stray Hawks, and even the pulse lasers on the Crimson Hunter before I finally aim all of a Falcon’s guns at it to secure the objective. Urgh, those things are so tough.

Elsewhere, the firepower of my other Falcon manages to injure the central Carnifex, before the big Hawks unit opens up and blows it away. Guide and Jinx work really well on 40 S4 shots! 

I love my Swooping Hawks. Such a busted unit, but so fun to use

The Harpy is hammered by my Fire Prisms, which Link Fire and drop it to two wounds even through Catalyst. 

Fire Prisms hit so hard when they connect

I don’t really want to shoot my War Walkers at it, but thankfully Baharroth steps up and blows it clean from the sky. He’s apparently trying to make up for my poor decisions.

Baharroth is B for Broken

Finally, the bright lances on the Crimson Hunter and War Walkers slam into the final Carnifex, but some low rolls for damage sees it sneak by on a single wound. Still, I’ve killed several more monsters and basically crippled Owen’s ability to hit back at me. To add insult to injury, Baharroth darts in, wounds the Flyrant, and then flies away. It’s like Encircle the Prey, but free!

Annoyingly, I don’t RND this turn because I threw away my small Hawk squad to get Encircle last time, I needed my big one to shoot, and my other infantry are all in the same quarter. That could become a problem.

Tyranids basically cleared off my side of the board

Tyranid Turn 3, 69:28

Well, at least Owen didn't score a 12 this turn

It’s now pretty clear how this game is going to go: Owen is likely to be tabled or close to, but may be able to get far enough ahead on points that I can’t catch up. The key to doing so will be to keep some assets alive over the next couple of turns to slow down my scoring and stop me taking all the objectives. To that end, Owen basically abandons the right side of the board entirely, retreating everything except the Neurothrope and the Reaper Tyrant to deep within the left flank. He does still make sure to keep proper screening, with the Hormagaunts in particular really hampering my ability to get Hawks or Baharroth into his half.

The Swarm retreats

In the centre, the Neurothrope tucks itself into a corner, successfully completes Warp Ritual and prepares to give itself for the good of the Swarm. The Maw-Claws Flyrant comes down near the Tyrant Guard, while the Reaper surges forward to charge my Warlock and CTM Fire Prism. The Fire Prism is cut to pieces, but yet more Fate Dice see the Warlock survive. 

The Warlock lives!

The Flyrant briefly contemplates sticking around and denying me my home objective for a turn, before deciding that it isn’t worth sacrificing a TtL target. So it Encircles, going back up into the sky. Isn’t it fun to see such excellent game balance in both armies?

Owen doesn’t get Stranglehold this turn, significantly, but he does get another couple on the Tertiary to set a massive 41-point gap for me to close. It looks bigger than it is, because he’ll probably start losing TtL points soon, but I’m pretty scared I won’t have enough time to get there.

State of the board at the start of my Turn 3 

Asuryani Turn 3, 69:43

31 points to catch up, yikes

To that end, it’s go time for everything in my turn. I expect that whatever Owen has left will hit me pretty hard on his turn, but I don’t have time to go slowly here. So everything speeds up, with all my big guns getting line of sight on the Hive Tyrant, Tyrant Guards, Carnifex or Pyrovore. The two exceptions are my Dire Avengers, who hold down the left two objectives, and the Swooping Hawks, who RND in my quarter in a weird line formation. I need them to be outside 6” of the halfway line, but still capable of jumping to the other side next turn to RND that quarter.

The Aeldari swoop in for the kill

In the Shooting phase, my War Walkers split their fire between the Pyrovore and the Carnifex on one wound. The flamer-beast is obliterated, but the Carnifex passes its 6+ save to survive the volley! 

I suppose I've done the same thing to Owen often enough this game

The Tyrant Guard aren’t so lucky, being obliterated by my Falcons with ease. This leaves two Fire Prisms and my Crimson Hunter Exarch all staring down the lone Hive Tyrant. Things look good, but a combination of the Transhuman strat, poor hit rolls and Catalyst sees the monster survive on three wounds. Damn!

Transhuman makes a big deal when you're shooting S14 shots 

Baharroth once again makes up for it though, by shooting a Zoanthrope from across the field then leaping into combat with the Warriors. Using a single Fate Dice he successfully lands seven hits and six wounds to obliterate the leader-beasts and leave Owen’s home objective undefended. I contemplate leaving him there to deny him Tertiary for next turn, but decide he is too infuriating to lose. Owen is not happy to hear this.

Baharroth denies Owen some critical points

Finally, one of the Falcons sneakily charges into the Neurothrope, using the pile-in and consolidate moves to swing itself across the halfway line and into Owen’s quarter to score me a big Engage. We decide neither of us are interested in rolling out the attacks of that particular combat and end my turn there.

The Falcon 'tap and spin'

That scoring gap has narrowed a lot. All I need is two more big turns and I should have this. Maybe.

Tyranids Turn 4, 75:43

Owen initially gets given an 8 on Primary before we remember that Baharroth stole his backfield objective

At the start of his turn, Owen has the Flyrants, a tied-up Neurothrope, the Hormagaunts, Zoanthropes and a crippled Carnifex. So this turn is pretty brief, basically just consisting of the Maw-Claws Flyrant, Carnifex and Zoanthropes moving to hit my Crimson Hunter, while the Reaper Flyrant drops in to attempt a charge on one Falcon. 

Tyranids try and do some final damage

There’s also some cheeky Smite action from the Neurothrope, which combines with the last two Spore Mines (hiding from Turn 1!) to chip 5 wounds onto a Falcon. Huh.

Surprise!

Elsewhere, the Carnifex hits and wounds with all of its HVC shots to badly damage my Hunter, and the rest of the Tyranids nearby easily bring down the plane. 

More effective shooting than the Harpies managed all game!

The Maw-Claws Flyrant uses Encircle to disappear again after finishing the job, but the Reaper Flyrant is unable to make its charge into the Falcon. 9” charges are fickle! Owen contemplates rerolling it, but decides the Encircle is a more important use of his last CP.

Sometimes it just be like that

Without Stranglehold this was a meagre haul of points for Owen, but the gap is back out to 32 points. Let’s see what I can do about that.

 

Asuryani Turn 4, 67:67

This gap is feeling more achievable

The Swordwind sweeps in for the final push. The War Walkers just manage to get line of sight to the Carnifex's tail and blast it, inflicting a whopping 13 wounds to make up for all their failed attempts so far. 

The great downside of the Tyranid codex is that everything has tails. It makes getting LoS so much easier!

The surviving Fire Dragons disembark and evaporate the Zoanthropes. 

Fusion shots: still good against things with invulnerable saves

Incidental shuriken fire helps Baharroth to sweep Owen’s objective clear of Hormagaunts. Pulse lasers and bright lances blast the Reaper Flyrant, although it manages to cling to life thanks to Catalyst. 

Aeldari sweeping in to exterminate the Tyranids

Then the Fire Prisms open up, and the Tyranid leader-beast is obliterated.

Fire Prisms claim another victim

The Catalyst saves are good, but not enough

The sole survivor of the assault aside from the Flyrant waiting in Strategic Reserve is the Neurothrope, which I charge again to tie up. It withstood a surprising amount of firepower this turn without failing a single save, but it’s also trapped in a futile combat away from the objectives.

Asuryani dominate the field

The devastation I meted out this turn has taken the scores to dead even, as mine rose and Owen’s fell. In reality, the game is now won, and Owen just gets one last chance to try and deny me some points.

Scores still even though 

Tyranids Turn 5, 67:67

That single chance is to drop the Flyrant into my backfield, charge the Farseer (and Baharroth, who’s jumped back to the objective to be a pain), and thus stop me scoring Tertiary in my final turn. Owen goes for the 9” charge, fails, rerolls it and fails again. It’s a heartbreaking end to a valiant effort from the bugs.

The final moment

The tragic end


Asuryani Turn 5, 62:84

In my turn I obliterate the Flyrant, score a bunch of Primary and Tertiary and get a big Engage.

Last TtL target goes down

I attempt to RND with my Fire Dragons in the final quarter, but can’t roll under their squad number to max that Secondary. 

This is my punishment for sacrificing those Hawks earlier

I also fail utterly to damage the Neurothrope, who at the end of the game is still just hanging out in the centre, totally unharmed.

Every time I hurt it, it just healed itself back up again!

Still, at the end of the game it’s a fairly solid Asuryani victory of 84:62!

I pulled it back at the end, but that felt far too close for comfort

Post-Game Analysis

That game felt like an absolute race against the clock. Over the first few turns I was terrified that the Tyranids were just going to blast me straight off the board. Then, even once I felt confident that I was winning the attritional battle, I suddenly realised quite how big the scoreline gap was. Had I been forced to hold back for one more turn before I committed, I think I would have never caught Owen.

That game was really decided by the blunting of Owen’s initial alpha strike, and then the speed at which I took his big monsters off the board in the following two turns. From there I had a massive materiel edge, and just needed time to convert it into a score lead. I had that time, but only just. A few minor swings in Owen’s favour (the Harpies killing anything, the Maw-Claws Flyrant getting Onslaught and making its charge, even just a few models dying a bit slower) and I don’t think I would have had the momentum to make that final push in time to win me the game.

Both lists honestly felt super strong, and I’m not sure what either of us would really change about them. The Behemoth list is far better-rounded, with all the durable ObSec in the world supporting plenty of firepower, mobility, psychic shenanigans and combat. The Hormagaunts were pretty critical for their added screening, and really seemed like a worthwhile swap for a Warrior unit. The Pyrovores again proved their obnoxious durability; I don’t think a list totally built around them is great, but a couple of units to throw onto objectives is amazing. The lack of the second Maleceptor really hurt, but the extra Carnifex and Pyrovores was probably worth it. Maybe. If either of us was to take Tyranids to a tournament tomorrow, this is what we’d run.

My list, on the other hand, felt super tailored to the current metagame. That much high-quality shooting (10 lance shots, 6 super-melta shots and 6 Prism Cannon shots) felt incredible, and the mobility and resilience was a lot better than I’d expected. Being able to drop down two Falcons and totally overwhelm Owen’s right flank was what let me start scoring points, and the list’s capacity to reach across the table and kill what it wanted to was crazy. I like the tweaks I made to it (basically swapping an Autarch and lots of upgrades for the psykers and more Hawks); I think the Hawks really shore up the horde matchup a heap, while giving me a better TtL option in a lot of games. And against the rest of the current high-durability meta, all that firepower really shines.

Being able to turtle up for several turns then break out like this in the lategame was awesome

I do think that if I ran it again though, I would water it down a little. The big guns were great, but a few small units to grab objectives would have really helped me score points in the mid-game. The Crimson Hunter was fun, but he could easily turn into a Ranger squad to let me take a Patrol for more slots, then a pair of Vypers and another War Walker to give me more throwaway chaff. I’d be losing one pulse laser, but gaining so much flexibility for it. Even just swapping it for the Rangers and another Falcon would retain relatively similar firepower, while giving me some expendable objective grabbers to RND or move block anywhere on the board.

Maybe if I had more chaff I wouldn't have had to use my big Swooping Hawks unit for RND twice

I hope you enjoyed seeing this more unconventional take on the Aeldari, I really enjoyed trying it out. And all credit to u/Stormcoil’s friend for the core list idea, it’s an incredibly unique build. When the meta is full of nails, bring hammers and nothing else I guess! I also hope you enjoyed seeing Tyranids lose, it’s something we both took some joy from. They’re feeling pretty oppressive at the moment, and I think that’s showing in some of the battle reports I’ve been writing recently. But hey, turns out they can have bad matchups after all! The meta is saved!

They didn't just lose, they were basically tabled!

Let me know in the comments what you thought of the game, and the lists in particular. What matchups would you be scared to face with an Aeldari force like this one? Is Behemoth the best Hive Fleet, or is the efficiency of Leviathan just too good? Are Tyranids so meta-warping that anything less than full blown lance-spam is doomed? I’m always keen to hear from you.

Until next time, may your opponent always fail their Onslaught casts!

Comments