Introductory Post

 

Hi! I’m Sharbie and this is my blog about a few different systems produced by Games Workshop. My current passion is the Middle Earth Strategy Battle Game (or MESBG for short, because that name takes some typing), so that will be the focus of at least the first dozen articles that I put up here. I’m also interested in a variety of other games, from Warhammer 40k to Dungeons and Dragons, so a bit of analysis on them will probably pop up from time to time.

I’ve only quite recently gotten back into MESBG, so most of my models are still in a similar condition to how I painted them as a kid. While I’m endeavouring to improve my hobby skills enough to do them a bit more justice, in the meantime most of my articles will be accompanied by whatever pictures I can find online. There won’t be that much hobby focused discussion for a while, but the internet is filled with better sites for that anyway.

Instead, there’ll be lots of fun competitive analysis, some stats, a fair amount of theory-hammer and some observations from the many games I’ve played since the world collapsed into an online-only space where responsibilities and workloads aren’t real. I’ll occasionally post some narrative stuff, like the Fantasy Fellowship campaign I just finished playing through, but by and large I tend to look at rules through the lens of optimisation, so even these scenarios are going to get a bit of a powergaming treatment.

My first few articles will be fairly “big picture” focussed, touching on a few general strategic points around listbuilding and in-game tactics. First up will be a discussion on how to use what I’m referring to as “power models;” guys like Boromir, Gûlavhar or Elendil, whose sole job is to kill stuff dead. This will be followed by an article on how to design your list around getting (or not getting!) Priority, then a couple of articles about the challenges of list-building to different points levels. With that out of the way we’ll dive into some deeper analysis on a few models that I find really interesting, before getting into a few comparison articles. After that? Well, I guess you’ll just have to read along and find out.

 

 

Comments